Author Topic: Acceptance of PVC for fire resistance?  (Read 20032 times)

Offline nearlythere

Re: Acceptance of PVC for fire resistance?
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 03:19:15 PM »
Midland.

Have come across at least one housing association that is fitting composite doors to flats onto common areas, they have indicated that they comply with BS 476 but have not had sight of the documentation or manufacturer. Will try and get some more info which may take a little time as away on holiday at the moment in sunny (it's raining) St. Ives
Is that St Ives where it never rains? Lucky boy.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 03:59:43 PM »
There are some FR doors on the market with a PVC finish on them.

Offline The Colonel

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 09:08:46 PM »
It rained yesterday but today was fine and managed a reasonable session outside of the Sloop Inn with the odd cold larger or 4. Hard work this holiday thing, just wish clients would take the hint that I am on holiday.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 09:11:42 PM by The Colonel »

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2011, 08:09:53 PM »
Brian,  I think you will find that there are what appear to be uPVC doors that are fire resistant by virtue of an FR core.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Offline SamFIRT

• Looking for the truth
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2011, 07:28:53 AM »
Brian,  I think you will find that there are what appear to be uPVC doors that are fire resistant by virtue of an FR core.

Interesting.

How can you tell? ( pre fire not post fire ....of course)  ;D
Sam

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2011, 08:25:09 AM »

Interesting.

How can you tell? ( pre fire not post fire ....of course)  ;D

You can't, irrespective of the materials its constructed of, its all about a little piece of paper/plastic attached to or accompanies the item, it says so or should.
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2011, 12:18:18 AM »
They are quite heavy Thomas.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Offline SamFIRT

• Looking for the truth
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2011, 08:22:00 AM »
What is the core made of to make it heavy and how heavy?
For example is it comparable to a proprietary front door constructed of sheet steel and PVC? ( they are not very FR in my experience by the way).
Sam

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2011, 09:34:08 AM »
True Colin we used it as one of the criteria when attempting to determine the FR of a door but in the end still a guess educated guess maybe but still a guess.
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Offline Tall Paul

« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2012, 05:38:34 PM »

I appreciate that this is an older thread, but by way of interest I am in the process of reviewing some doors in a block of flats that have been described as fire doors by the building manager.  They have an apparent uPVC surface finish with nothing to indicate that they are anything other than a standard entrance door.

I have discovered subsequently that they are composite doors, as discussed above, and that they have undergone testing to BS 476-22 with Warrington Fire.  I have read the Warrington  report and it confirms that the test was undertaken successfully in regard to integrity.  No mention is made in the report of testing in regard to stability or insulation.  The doors are being sold as fully compliant 30-minute fire doors.  The following two web sites include them in their product range:

http://www.dorwin.co.uk/products/doors/Composite%20Door%20Specification%20.pdf

http://www.permadoor.co.uk/product-fire.asp

I have requested information relating to stability and insulation performance but that is not currently available.

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2012, 08:00:06 PM »
BS 476-22:1987 Fire tests on building materials and structures. Methods for determination of the fire resistance of non-loadbearing elements of construction.
Surely stability doesn't come in to it, just integrity and insulation and if it has passed the test then both would have passed the test.

Check out http://www.chilternfire.co.uk/technical-information/article/ti-0801-fire-resistance---testing-assessment-and-certification

Offline Fishy

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2012, 12:34:18 PM »

I appreciate that this is an older thread, but by way of interest I am in the process of reviewing some doors in a block of flats that have been described as fire doors by the building manager.  They have an apparent uPVC surface finish with nothing to indicate that they are anything other than a standard entrance door.

I have discovered subsequently that they are composite doors, as discussed above, and that they have undergone testing to BS 476-22 with Warrington Fire.  I have read the Warrington  report and it confirms that the test was undertaken successfully in regard to integrity.  No mention is made in the report of testing in regard to stability or insulation.  The doors are being sold as fully compliant 30-minute fire doors.  The following two web sites include them in their product range:

http://www.dorwin.co.uk/products/doors/Composite%20Door%20Specification%20.pdf

http://www.permadoor.co.uk/product-fire.asp

I have requested information relating to stability and insulation performance but that is not currently available.

I'm afraid that you're about 25 years out-of-date, Tall Paul!  No such thing as 'Stability' under either the 1987 standards or the new ENs - that was something measured under the old BS: 476: Part 8 test from 1972. 

The vast majority of fire doors don't need insulation performance, only integrity (or "E" in Euroclass-speak) - see Table B1 of the Approved Document B (if you're in England & Wales).  The only exception would be if the door openings comprise >25% of a comparment wall (See Appendix B, Clause 5).

Offline Stinky

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2012, 10:40:32 PM »
Many housing associations are now using Securidor or Permidor fire door sets.  THey are of composite construction.  THey also have a uPVC coating to the door frames.  From a visual inspection the frames just look uPVC and not fire resisting.  But documentation appears to indicate that they are fire doors tested to 476.

http://www.securidor.ltd.uk/firesafe.html

Midland Retty

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2012, 11:29:56 AM »
Indeed. I have seen the certs for some of the Permidors, they were tested by Warringtonfire, and conformed to BS476 - They are becoming very very popular.

Offline Fishy

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2012, 12:26:22 PM »
Many housing associations are now using Securidor or Permidor fire door sets.  THey are of composite construction.  THey also have a uPVC coating to the door frames.  From a visual inspection the frames just look uPVC and not fire resisting.  But documentation appears to indicate that they are fire doors tested to 476.

http://www.securidor.ltd.uk/firesafe.html

From their website: "non combustible phenolic foam core" ???  That would be a neat trick.  Someone needs to explain to them what "non combustible" means!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 12:32:58 PM by Fishy »