Author Topic: Fire Strategy Document  (Read 15863 times)

Offline hospitalboy

Fire Strategy Document
« on: February 24, 2015, 02:16:08 PM »
Afternoon all

Can anyone recommend me a company (prefferable with healthcare experiance) who can produce a fire strategy document for the trust?

Thanks

HB  ;)

Offline jayjay

Re: Fire Strategy Document
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 08:10:03 PM »
Google "Healthcare fire strategy" and you should find a good selection, make sure it is appropriate and suitable for your use.

Offline Fishy

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 04:28:53 PM »
I might have misunderstood the question - but I'd observe it's a bit odd to want a Fire Strategy for the trust, rather than for an individual premises?  Trusts generally have a Policy that covers their approach to fire safety for the estate, with emergency plans & risk assessments that cover the individual premises (I might be a bit out of date - it's been a few years since I 'did' Healthcare)? 

Fire Strategies used to be produced only if undertaking major works, & handed over (ideally updated to reflect the 'as built') once the works are complete, but I'm aware that these days some are having them prepared for premises in 'steady state', perhaps to inform their FRAs. 

Offline Messy

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 07:41:08 PM »
HB

Cant you compile something in-house mate? There are many Universities and Health Trusts that publish their polices online

I am not in any way advocating plagiarism, but downloading a few might give you an idea for a template

For example, this one from a Trust we both know fairly well might be a good start

http://www.wlmht.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/F1-Fire-Policy-and-Strategy.pdf

Offline Phoenix

• Get a bicycle. You will not live to regret it
    • MetaSolutions (Fire Safety Engineering) Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 01:54:47 AM »
That's good advice Messy and I would go along with it in general. 

However, that document you provided a link for is not a fire strategy.  In particular, the section entitled "Fire Safety Strategy" is very much not a fire strategy.  I wouldn't want anyone to look at that document and get the wrong idea about the details that are required in a fire strategy.

Offline Messy

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 10:01:22 PM »
Of course you are right. The link was posted in haste, but you get the idea!

Offline lyledunn

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 02:24:00 PM »
Are there three component parts to a fire safety strategy? 1. General policy for example management structure and committment 2. A more detailed strategy in respect of the practical issues  eg implementing the preventive measures and controls, maintenance, training and drills  3. An evacuation plan describing for example the actions of marshals, assistance for disabled, assembly points, sweeps etc.
I see so much waffle it is hard to know if some clever clogs has just thrown a whole lot of fire safety bumf together which looks good but fails to address the specific fire safety requirements of the building. Before we carry out design or inspection activity we always ask for the existing fire risk assessment. We are working in a relatively small sports and social club at the moment. The FRA and attendant documents extend to 204 pages, comprising mostly cut and paste guidance. They even managed to mention abrasive wheels!

Offline AnthonyB

• Firenet Extinguisher Expert
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.firewizard.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 11:04:57 PM »
The term fire strategy is used & abused to cover many things. The usage with some standardisation is the one used in "British Standard - PAS 911:2007 - Fire Strategies - Guidance And Framework For Their Formulation" which is mainly intended for use at the design stage of a build, particularly where non code engineered solutions are used.

But it is also used for totally different things, such as here where it is used as a name for the document setting out the fire safety policy & FRA significant findings in an existing building: https://www.bedsfire.com/CommunitySafety/BusinessFireSafety/Documents/Fire%20Risk%20Ass/fsgn65a.pdf
Anthony Buck
Owner & Fire Safety Consultant at Fire Wizard

Extinguisher/Fire History Enthusiast

Fire Extinguisher Facebook Group:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=65...415&ref=ts
http://www.youtube.com/user/contactacb
https://uk.linkedin.com/in/anthony-buck-36

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 11:37:44 AM »
What would you call the document required under article 11 of the RR(FS)O if the RP employs five or more employee, Fire safety arrangements or could it be part of the fire strategy document?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 11:42:21 AM by Tom Sutton »
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Offline Messy

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 02:33:48 PM »
IMO, if the FRA and emergency plan are detailed enough, there is no other requirement to record to satisfy the FSO regarding arrangements under Article 11 (ie effective planning, organisation, control, monitoring and review)

For example, when recording the significant findings in relation to warning arrangements (Article 13), I record (as required when considering the definition of 'significant findings') details of the fire alarm system, including category, variations, maintenance regime, and whether any improvements are recommended.

I have seen plenty of FRAs where only recommended improvements are recorded and I do not believe this is sufficient to cover the term 'arrangements' on Article 11

So why would a policy or strategy be needed in these circumstances??

Offline Fishy

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 09:53:08 AM »
"Fire Strategy" is a document typically intended to support building or process engineering works - in a nutshell it describes the planned scope of works, lists the appropriate fire safety objectives and describes how those works will be (or have been) designed to meet those objectives.  It is usually produced if the design approach follows BS 7974; it is often produced to support works designed using BS 9999 and is sometimes produced if the premises is being designed in accordance with the Building Regulations guidance relevant to the region (e.g. the Approved Document B etc).  In the UK it should be updated at the end of the Project & handed over as part of the Regulation 38 'pack'.

As part of the design package for a particular piece of work, it's questionable whether it needs to be updated or maintained on an on-going basis, though it should inform any subsequent fire risk assessment(s).

Having said all the above, if someone wants to produce a document with a different scope & purpose & call it a "Fire Strategy" then there's nothing stopping them - it just gets potentially confusing to those who are used to its 'conventional' meaning.