Author Topic: Domestic fire deaths  (Read 33748 times)

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
Domestic fire deaths
« on: April 17, 2005, 05:14:51 PM »
The latest 2003 statistics show an increase in domestic fire deaths for the first time in a long time. Are there any official theories as to why this increase has occurred contrary to the trend over the past 15 years or so?
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Offline burgermuncher999

Domestic fire deaths
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 09:17:38 AM »
This is in no way scientific or related to any work done on the subject but it would be interesting to know whether their was any disproportianate increase in the number of drink related fire deaths. If so could it be the case that the increase in fire deaths might be aligned to the apparent increase in our alcohol consumption (as a nation).

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
Domestic fire deaths
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 09:24:53 AM »
More likely its just a statistical Blip. I saw a draft stats monitor the other day which was showing that the trend is still slightly downward.

Offline Gel

Domestic fire deaths
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 09:44:57 AM »
Noted that Irish figures were up and the smoking ban in public places being pointed at as cause ie now more drink & smoke at home than before.

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
Domestic fire deaths
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 06:49:58 PM »
That's what I was hoping Wee B. It would be worrying otherwise, but is there any possibility that failure to keep smoke alarms operational could be a contributory factor. If so, that would be really worrying.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Offline burgermuncher999

Domestic fire deaths
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005, 09:19:10 AM »
When does a blip become a trend.

Princess

Domestic fire deaths
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2005, 01:31:04 PM »
The latest fire stats published by ODPM on 14 April shows that the number of fatal casualities in accidental dwelling fires for the year ending 30/9/04 was 351 compared to 396 for the year ending 30/9/03. You can download the fire statistics monitor from the ODPM website at:

www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/groups/odpm_fire/documents/page/odpm_fire_037257.hcsp

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
Domestic fire deaths
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005, 09:39:34 PM »
The you go - a blip!

The difference between a blip and a trend is mainly in the eye of the beholder but basicly you need to get a feel for how the figures change over time.

Statistics always need to be looked at in context. Given that around 40% of road accidents invlove alchohol then it follows that the way to save lives is to take a wee dram before starting your journey (as 60% of accidents involve sober people!!!) - Its a dumb example but you see what I mean.

Colin - As you know there a significant proportion of casualties who probably would have survived for the want of a 9 volt battery. But its not possible from the stats to spot if the older alarms are begining to lose sensitivity.

Its on my list of things that need researching - a very long list.

Offline Gel

Domestic fire deaths
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2005, 10:01:29 PM »
The US NFPA have a leaflet on why 10 years should be max life span on smoke alarms. I can e mail if of interest.
UK stats indicate that UK housing stock with an alarm, approx 11% have hard wired alarms. {This primarily driven by New Buid Regs & socila housing retrofit projects}.

In respect of UK fire stats there's no stats to tell if alarm is mains or battery in a fire incident, but mains alarms will not be dependent on the battery to function, so long as mains power present of course

Offline fireftrm

Domestic fire deaths
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2005, 11:49:21 AM »
Gel

BVPI 209 has just been introduced to measure the %age of fires attended in dwellings where:
    (i) a smoke alarm had activated;
    (ii) a smoke alarm was fitted but did not operate;
    (iii) no smoke alarm was fitted

This doesn't differentiate between the method of powering the alarm, however this information is collected on the FDR1 - along with all the info needed to inform the BVPI.
My posts reflect my personal views and beliefs and not those of my employer. If I offend anyone it is usually unintentional, please be kind. If it is intentional I guess it will be clear!

Offline Gel

Domestic fire deaths
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2005, 02:13:14 PM »
Thanks; so the method of power to alarm is recorded then on FDR1 then, but not gathered within stats?

Offline Mark

Domestic fire deaths
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2005, 03:35:33 PM »
Do any of the forms stipulate the age of the property?

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
Domestic fire deaths
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2005, 08:56:09 AM »
Gel

The method of powering the alrm is recorded on FDR1 and can be found in the stats database that researchers use. The published stats that you can pick up from the ODPM website are only summaries of a much more complex database.

Theres still a lot more info needed thatn we get from FDR1s and I am told that the plan to update them is making progress.

One of the new questions we would like added to the list is approximate age of the property.

Princess

Domestic fire deaths
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2005, 02:18:16 PM »
Gel

As Wee brian says, information on the type of smoke alarm (mains or battery powered) is currently recorded on the FDR1. Analysis of this data is available in the published annual 'Fire Statistics, United Kingdom, 2003', chapter 2, table 2.5.  This publication is available at the link below:
http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/groups/odpm_control/documents/contentservertemplate/odpm_index.hcst?n=4844&l=3

Offline Gel

Domestic fire deaths
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2005, 03:47:32 PM »
Thanks Princess; are u now a relative of Camilla I wonder!!