Author Topic: Dry riser installation  (Read 18930 times)

Offline Golden

Re: Dry riser installation
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 05:12:53 PM »
"so long as you keep buying him milk stouts" - actually I prefer Guinness but that could get very expensive!!

Incidentally stout is a local brew for me - allegedly being invented by Quaker Henry Stout not 100 yards from my present house - therefore to keep the interest in brewing I feel obliged to drink the stuff in copious quantities.

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 06:32:30 PM »
"so long as you keep buying him milk stouts" - actually I prefer Guinness but that could get very expensive!!

Incidentally stout is a local brew for me - allegedly being invented by Quaker Henry Stout not 100 yards from my present house - therefore to keep the interest in brewing I feel obliged to drink the stuff in copious quantities.
See PG. Likes him milk stout does the old codger. And he doesn't need his teeth in for it.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline PGtips

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2014, 09:05:39 PM »
Ah!  Thanks chaps, I'm going to go with gut feel. These risers are supposed to be 60s - and. Its a residential block,so whilst it might be a pain, I really do think a dry riser box with open back aint the way to go as I'm guessing any smoke might just decide to take that route!

Thanks again chaps...

Offline Mike Buckley

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2014, 01:59:03 PM »
Surely one issue is why would you be looking to open the riser above the fire to fight the fire in the riser?
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to those who think they've found it.

Offline PGtips

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2014, 03:15:30 PM »
Good point, but if you could get to the landing valve (I remembered!) without any risk of releasing smoke anywhere in the building that would be better.

Also, I can't see from the installation of any of these boxes that they would contain smoke in a riser. You can see daylight through the surround, and the little bit of wired glass held in by screws in the panel behind isn't going to achieve 60s that the doors right next to it are supposed to be achieving, therefore making the building control's insistence that the riser itself achieve that rating a little daft.

A bit like the world's best fire door, with a nice little vent above it.