Author Topic: Existing places of entertainment and buiding regulations  (Read 14006 times)

Offline ellel

Existing places of entertainment and buiding regulations
« on: October 16, 2005, 07:49:10 PM »
I have just been appointed Fire Officer for my organisation. Experience Nil, Knowledge Nil. I have however gleaned some info from this site and others. However,  I have tried to find “ Existing places of entertainment and the building regulations” documents with out success, where are they? Also I have tried to work out the maximum capacity for our meeting rooms the calculations part of this web site is great but what do  Buildings class A, B and C refer to.

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 09:18:30 AM »
ellel

Building Regulations apply ony to the process of building (and some other stuff)

If you havent got any building work going on then the building regs don't apply. The Fire Regs of course do still apply.

There are many ways of working out the capacity of your meeting rooms the easiest thing to find on the web is approved document B. It is the book of words used to design buildings in accordance with the building regs. So whilst these regs don not apply the guidance that supports them can still be used to answer your question.

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/groups/odpm_buildreg/documents/divisionhomepage/br0043.hcsp

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 03:57:27 AM »
The classes are defined in the yellow book.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Offline Ian Scrim

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 08:55:33 PM »
The "Guide to Fire Precautions in Existing Places of Entertainment and Like Premises" ISBN: 0113409079 commonly called the yellow guide is currently out of print but the following website

http://www.firesafe.org.uk/html/guides/basicmoe.htm

gives,
(note this refers to licensed premises and also there are other ways of looking at evacuation times)  

Time of evacuation is dependent on on the following factors;
Building construction
Occupancy

The construction of buildings are divided into three basic types,
Class A - complete noncombustible construction, i.e. elements of structure, floors, and walls. Supporting structure of brick or concrete;
Class B - traditional construction, i.e. noncombustible walls with combustible floors;
Class C - combustible construction, i.e. timber floors and walls.

Based on these classes arbitrary evacuation times were decided upon and the times that are generally accepted as -;
Class 'A' construction - 3 minutes
Class 'B' construction - 2.5 minutes
Class 'C' construction - 2 minutes

These are not hard and fast times, and can be extended or reduced according to the particular circumstances

Offline dave bev

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005, 10:24:49 AM »
scrimmy - you know some stuff, dont you!!! LOL

dave bev

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 08:01:02 PM »
ellel

try   http://www.south-ribblebc.gov.uk/pdfs/Fire%20Authority.pdf    you may find it useful

Tom
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Offline Fishy

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2005, 09:19:49 AM »
Ellel:

My advice - demand appropriate fire safety training from your employer - in my view it isn't reasonable for them to saddle you with fire safety responsibility for a place of entertainment without it.  

They have a legal responsibility to ensure that you are competent and "experience nil, knowledge nil" doesn't inspire confidence that this is the case!