Author Topic: Information About Wanting To Become An Airport Firefighter  (Read 5557 times)

Offline ace

Information About Wanting To Become An Airport Firefighter
« on: January 24, 2008, 04:26:14 PM »
just a few things i would like to know,

what kind of planes are likely to use a cat 3/4 airport?

what kind of materials are planes made of & what kind of effect is there if they ignite??

what foams do airport fire appliances carry & are they mixed with water??

is there any kind of codes to do with airports that will be handy to know if going for an airport firefighters interview?

any advice on this would be great, thanks

Offline Fireguy1230

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 09:52:33 PM »
Hi Ace

Why do you require this information?

It is unlikely to form part of a firefighter recruitment interview, and if the information is required by them at interview, i'm sure they will accomodate your questions at the fire station. I am unable to answer all your questions purely because i would be here all day!

Best to approach the airport in question and ask.

Offline graham31

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 10:57:42 PM »
Having been  through the selection process down to the final interview i know this information won't help one bit and they won't ask you anything to do with the AFS except why you want a career in the AFS.

If it's only for your own information i'm sure you'll find it if you google the questions.

Offline ace

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 01:47:35 AM »
its just i fancy being one on the island i live on

Offline Fireguy1230

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 12:09:55 PM »
Totally understand where you are coming from ace. But your best bet will be to contact the airport in question and get all the gen you need from them, that way you can ensure you are learning stuff that is relevant to that airport.

In the current climate of terrorist threats to airports, you'll probably find that people will not be forthcoming with information regarding the effects of fire on aircraft and aircraft/airport ident codes.

May seem melodramatic, but you can't be too careful.