Author Topic: Cornwall Hotel Fire  (Read 8394 times)

Offline The Lawman

Cornwall Hotel Fire
« on: August 19, 2007, 11:53:05 AM »
Whilst it is far too early to speculate on the possible cause of the fatal fire which destroyed the hotel, can someone give me a brief outline how a fire investigation would be undertaken in such circumstances where the property has beed demolished on safety grounds?

Obviously there would be witness statements, you would hope, but how difficult is it to get meaningful information from what is left of the building?

Offline John Webb

Cornwall Hotel Fire
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 02:01:22 PM »
Besides witness statements there will (or are likely) to be:
(a) Photos, CCTV and FRS photos/video taken during the  fire which will help indicate the speed and direction of fire spread;
(b) police and/or FRS will have taken photos/video of the remains prior to demolition;
(c) the lower parts of the building may reveal useable evidence by employing forensic and archaeological techniques as the remains are removed. It would seem from the TV news pictures I've seen that floors had either collapsed or burnt out - if the former then evidence may be preserved underneath the collapsed floor(s).

I've been in several buildings severely damaged by fire and rendered virtually derelict but was able to turn up quite useful evidence.
John Webb
Consultant on Fire Safety, Diocese of St Albans
(Views expressed are my own)

Offline The Lawman

Cornwall Hotel Fire
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 07:56:35 PM »
Cheers John, that fills in the blanks.

It can't be an easy task where there is such devastation.

Offline Gel

Cornwall Hotel Fire
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 08:59:33 PM »

Offline John Webb

Cornwall Hotel Fire
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 09:12:54 PM »
Number of items today in various places regarding this fire and the announcement by the police that the fire is now being considered as being caused by arson.
See, for example, http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/7202053.stm
John Webb
Consultant on Fire Safety, Diocese of St Albans
(Views expressed are my own)