Author Topic: Stair Lifts  (Read 14037 times)

Offline Geoff

Stair Lifts
« on: May 10, 2013, 03:00:36 PM »
Hi gentlefolk all,

I have a two storey purpose built block of flats with a single stairwell and two flats to each floor, the flats opening onto the stairwell landing, etc. No detection of any sort on the common stairwell.

We have been asked to install a brand new stairlift to the stairwell for one of the residents on the first floor, the stairlift will be of the fold up variety and fitted close to the wall.  The resident will not be relocated to another flat.

Am I right in thinking that there isn't a great deal to be concerned about?

Geoff

Offline lancsfirepro

Re: Stair Lifts
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 04:45:09 PM »
I've had this in the past Geoff where the stair lift reduces the effective width below the minimum 750mm.  My take on this one is that in purpose built flats, the evacuation would only be from one flat (unless told to leave by the FRS) in which case there would be low numbers of people using the stairs.  So it's not really an issue.  I'd be asking how the person that needs the stair lift is going to get out in an emergency though.  Unless the stair lift has a backup supply, it shouldn't really be used in an emergency.

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 05:26:33 PM »
I had this in a domestic environment as well and for the limited numbers of persons affected I considered it sufficiently low of risk as to be acceptable. I did suggest that there should be a high lux level of EL so that stairway users could see the track on the stairs.
I had come across one on a stairway from a room which would be used for around 120 persons. The effective width of the stairway was reduced to about 600mm and the track was most certainly a trip hazard.  My advice was it's removal. 
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 06:11:53 PM »
Yes I agree with  all of the above in addition the FRA should give consideration to the risk of ignition - if it has a battery supply and charging circuit, where this is sited, how the risk is controlled (eg RCDs and siting of the charger unit), risk of vandalism and how this can be controlled through secure access etc.

We used to take account of staircase width should it break down half way but I guess that is more relevant to sheltered housing than a small 2 block of 4 purpose built flats.

Offline wee brian

• Administrator

Offline kurnal

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 04:43:05 PM »
Thanks Wee B an interesting determination. Interesting to note that the means of escape was not in accordance with 2.18 and 2.19 of the ADB (that would be the 1991 edition and not the current edition.)

Anyone got a copy - its interesting to note that despite these non conformities the Department was still assuming the stay put policy would be appropriate. I would like to know what they were. I only have 2000 and 2006 editions.

Midland Retty

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 05:44:55 PM »
I have a copy Kurnal - I tried to pop it up as a JPEG on here but I don't know how to insert images - so I'll email it to you!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 05:51:03 PM by The Midland Martian »

Offline kurnal

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 07:56:13 PM »
Thanks for the email Midland Martian- heres the texts of 2.18 and 2.19 from the 1991 edition:-

2.18 Every dwelling should have access to alternative escape routes so that a person confronted by the effects of an outbreak of fire in another dwelling can turn away from it and make a safe escape.
However, a single escape route from the dwelling entrance door is acceptable if either:
a. the dwelling is situated in a storey served by a single common stair and:-
i. every dwelling is separated from the common stair by a protected lobby or common corridor (see Diagream 10), and
ii the travel distance limitations in Table 2, on escape in one direction only, are observed; or
b. alternatively the dwelling is situated in a dead end part of a common corridor served by two (or more) common stairs, and the distance to the nearest common stair complies with the limitations in Table 2 on escape in one direction only (see Diagram 11).
Small single-stair buildings

2.19 The provisions in paragraph 2.18 may be modified and a single stair, protected in accordance with Diagram 12, may be used provided that:
a.the top floor of the building is no more than 11 m above ground level, and
b.there are no more than 3 storeys above the ground level storey, and
c.the stair does not connect to a covered car park, except if the car park is open-sided.

Interesting that despite this the Department determined that the stay put policy was ok...not sure I would have said that!

Offline Tom Sutton

All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.