Author Topic: Fire Drills  (Read 7544 times)

Offline Geoff

Fire Drills
« on: October 23, 2013, 09:03:56 AM »
Good morrow to you all,

I have had a query from one of our senior managers who wants to know the legal basis for the need conduct fire drills within sheltered and extra care housing, particularly in relation to 'stay put' evacuation procedures?

I've assumed it comes under Article 21 of the FSO but that doesn't mention it specifically and he wants something specific!

A pointer in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Geoff

Offline nearlythere

Re: Fire Drills
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 09:25:53 AM »
Good morrow to you all,

I have had a query from one of our senior managers who wants to know the legal basis for the need conduct fire drills within sheltered and extra care housing, particularly in relation to 'stay put' evacuation procedures?

I've assumed it comes under Article 21 of the FSO but that doesn't mention it specifically and he wants something specific!

A pointer in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Geoff
These people are not employees Geoff and this would have a bearing on your plans. Of course it would be desirable to have all residents take part in drills and some form of training and information sessions but what if they don't want to take part? You say extra care housing. What type of persons are they here? Is there an onsite warden?
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline jokar

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 09:38:14 AM »
There is no legal basis as they are not employees.  Good practice would be to inform residents what the strategy is and how it is supported by the detection and warning systems.

Offline Golden

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 09:50:36 AM »
Your senior manager is the one with his arse on the line; there is no legal right or wrong way to actually evacuate the people (assuming that you need to evacuate people as you do mention stay put) and the legislation only says that as the RP he has control within the premises  even though he is not the employer of the residents/relevant persons. By which means he ensures the person is safe is down to the manager (if the RRO applies), although it may be tested and challenged by an enforcing authority, it is ultimately the manager's (RP) responsibility to ensure the safety of the occupiers by whatever means he sees fit.

Having said that it really depends on your premises - if they are individual units with good separation then why evacuate but just ensure there is no fire loading in any common areas. It really depends on the type of building(s) and the alarm/evacuation strategy you employ; basically you need a FRA (if you come under the RRO) to tell you what you need to do with the particular type of premises that you are in control of - need a bit more information.

Offline Geoff

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 02:00:38 PM »
Thanks chaps, that has pretty much confirmed my thoughts.

The properties are pretty much standard Category 2 sheltered housing (so large blocks of flats (2 - 5 storeys) with complex layouts) but with the extra care they have care provision on site contracted by the local authority, which residents pay for if they need or wish to have care. It isn't a residential care home. Resident groups are over 55's with varying degrees of vulnerability.

Some have live in managers, most do not but their office hours are effectively 9 to 5. They have FRAs.

Mu query was based on the fact that in most Housing Associations fire drills are conducted virtually every 6 months in this type of accommodation and the manager wanted to know if it was by custom or a legal requirement.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 02:07:01 PM by Geoff »

Offline Dinnertime Dave

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 05:54:05 PM »
How do you have a fire drill in a building with a stay put policy? I assume you sound the alarm and wait for people to do nothing ;D

On a more serious point, some have drills for the communal lounges, but from a practical point of view reinforcing procedures at residents meetings is time well spent.

Online AnthonyB

• Firenet Extinguisher Expert
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.firewizard.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 09:54:42 PM »
How do you have a fire drill in a building with a stay put policy? I assume you sound the alarm and wait for people to do nothing ;D

Yes, had to do that once, typical modern apartment block that got a full system thrown in just for kicks (the fire strategy backed up it was superfluous), a drill was required as it was company policy (regardless of the premises) it was most surreal......fortunately they saw sense and didn't bother with any future ones!
Anthony Buck
Owner & Fire Safety Consultant at Fire Wizard

Extinguisher/Fire History Enthusiast

Fire Extinguisher Facebook Group:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=65...415&ref=ts
http://www.youtube.com/user/contactacb
https://uk.linkedin.com/in/anthony-buck-36