Author Topic: Fire separation  (Read 23758 times)

Offline Tom Sutton

Fire separation
« on: February 05, 2014, 02:58:06 PM »
What is the reasoning behind 60 minute fire resistant walls only requiring 30 minute doors in some blocks of flats.

A question I was asked and I cannot remember the answer which I am sure I have been told?
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Firey Fellow

Re: Fire separation
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 04:44:07 PM »
Its all down to the internal layout of the flat. With most flats you walk through the front door into a small hall from which you can access all other rooms. In some flats you get a larger hall which is becomes more of a corridor leading to all the other rooms in the flat.

The internal doors within each flat that form those halls or "short corridors" should be fire rated. The main entrance door to the flat should be atleast 30 minutes f/r and in total the front entrance door and internal doors combined should give you around 60 minutes fire resistance.

Thats the theory...In reality of course we all know resisdents prop (or even in some cases remove internall doors)

Offline Mike Buckley

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 04:55:42 PM »
The other aspect is two flats side by side 30 min fire doors on both give a total of 1 hour, but the single separating wall needs to be 1 hour to provide the separation.
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to those who think they've found it.

Offline Dinnertime Dave

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 05:05:15 PM »
Becoming more aware of developers in flat developments who want to put glazed elements between the flat and the communal corridor. These are required to give 60/60 integrity and insulation. They only want to put 60/30 in or in some cases 30 mins for both. Anybody have any views.

Sorry I should say opinions. I read it back and thought I can't put window and views in the same paragraph without getting childish responses  ;D

Firey Fellow

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 05:23:09 PM »
They only want to put 60/30 in or in some cases 30 mins for both. Anybody have any views.

Depends on the size of the development and whether the blocks / flats are sprinklered - if they're not sprinklered then anything less than 60 / 60 would be unacceptable in my opinion!

Low rise - quite a few proposals I've seen recently seem to favour 30 minutes compartmentation, AFD throughout, and simultaneous evacuation policy !  Me no likey ::)

Thats my view, er opinion, DD  ;D

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 10:09:01 AM »
If you check ADB vol 2 2013 Table B1 page 134 is states any door that separates the flat from common areas should be FD30s and and door that protects the hall/landing should be FD20 so you will not achieve the 60 minutes. If you check the 1972 regs E10 any door in a protected shaft need only be half the fire resistance of the shaft, minimum 30 minutes. So I believe this concept of the door being half the fire resistance of the enclosure has been around some time but I cannot find why.
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Firey Fellow

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 11:50:54 AM »
Hi Tom

Thats why I said it will give you around 60 mins as you say ADB asks for FD20 - in most cases FD30 doors were fitted internally from my experience as buildiers tended to buy FD30 on bulk for various reasons.

The theory is that a fire in, say the lounge, would have to burn through two doors (internal and flat entrance door) before it spread to the communal area, and then through another door to get into a neighbouring flat which is very unlikely to happen.

So no you don't truly get 60 mins F/R necessarily.

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 07:30:58 PM »
ADB vol 2 2013 Table B1 2c page 134 it says doors in a compartment wall enclosing a protected staircase, requires half the fire resistance of the wall minimum FD 30s.

Again I ask the question why?

Offline Dinnertime Dave

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 11:07:19 PM »
ADB vol 2 2013 Table B1 2c page 134 it says doors in a compartment wall enclosing a protected staircase, requires half the fire resistance of the wall minimum FD 30s.

Again I ask the question why?

Whilst I don't think it the correct answer consider the fact that the fire service will attend and commence firefighting in about 10-15 minutes. To do this we open the door and enter the compartment, once we open the door doesn't really matter whether it is 30 or 60 minutes.

Offline idlefire

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 11:14:49 PM »

Tom, this is not uncommon, for example I seem to recall that walls on the stairways of a firefighting shaft should be FR60 yet the doors only need to be FR30 and the walls of FF shaft lobbies should be FR120 and yet the doors only need to be FR60.

My understanding is that this is all about direct flame implingement.

Combustibles can easily be stored against the walls but not so against doors, otherwise the doors couldn't be opened/closed.

It makes perfect sense to me, but as alway I stand to be corrected. ;)

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 11:33:22 AM »
My understanding was and still is that the compartmentation is to prevent the rapid spread of fire and to give the building some structural integrity in a fire. As the building height increases so does the fire resistance of the compartmentation. The degree of fire resistance can vary from 30 mins to 120 mins depending on the purpose group and building height.
As to the lesser fire resistance of doors in compartment walls I would think this has more to do with door technology and ease of use. A 1hr or greater door can be quite heavy.
I would suggest that the area of door openings in a compartment wall would be quite small percentage wise and a few 30 min doors in a 60 min wall would not generally result in a significant weakness in the building's compartmentation and would have little bearing on the structural integrity of the wall.
Just my thoughts.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 11:33:56 AM »
Thanks for your responses I am now ready to answer my enquirer.

The wall between a  flat and the common areas is a compartment walls and tested to BS 476 part 21 which includes stability as well as integrity, so it needs to remain stable as well as resist the passage of fire for the appointed time (60mins). Fire doors are non-load bearing and tested to BS 476 part 22 for integrity, I have chosen to ignore insulation because it is not relevant in this discussion.

Therefore compartment walls have remain stable and resist the passage of fire for the full 60 minutes and fire doors only have to resist the passage of fire. Because fire doors do not have to remain stable you can have two doors protecting the opening, one from the habitable rooms to the hall and then a second (front door) from the hall to the common areas a combination of 60 minutes.

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 12:48:23 AM »
Tam, you are making it all too complicated and your explanation does not take into account flats with no internal fire doors.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 12:32:23 PM »
Point taken Colin what is the simple answer taking into account flats without internal fire doors?

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 12:52:54 PM »
OK, here goes the reasons are as follows;

High periods of FR for Doors is difficult/expensive etc.

Doors are a small part of a wall, stuff isnt usually right in front of the door (or you couldn't open it).

Also, much better that the first component to fail is the door than some random part of the wall (better for firefighters)