Author Topic: Escape Windows - Locks  (Read 8082 times)

Offline Tom Sutton

Escape Windows - Locks
« on: April 03, 2014, 09:40:11 AM »
Any observations on the following query.

I would appreciate some advice or a recommendation as to where I can get further assistance. My insurance company is insisting that all ground floor windows have key operated locks. We have double glazed windows fitted approx 3 years ago and they have said that they do not supply key operated locks for fire safety reasons, ie. fire exit. Who is correct?
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Offline col10

Re: Escape Windows - Locks
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 12:29:43 PM »
AD B Vol 1 (2006) para 2.8 Note 2.  "Locks (with or without removeable keys) and stays may be fitted to egress windows,"

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 12:55:41 PM »
Any observations on the following query.

I would appreciate some advice or a recommendation as to where I can get further assistance. My insurance company is insisting that all ground floor windows have key operated locks. We have double glazed windows fitted approx 3 years ago and they have said that they do not supply key operated locks for fire safety reasons, ie. fire exit. Who is correct?
This has always been a bit of an issue Tom and it even extends to final exit doors where the advice, for fire safety purposes, is that they are easily open without the use of a key whereas the insurance companies usually stipulate the use of a 5 lever deadlock. Even windows now have to have their opening distance restricted to stop children falling out which makes a nonsense of the 500mm x 850mm  (I think without looking) clear opening building regulation.
To me the message the insurance companies is sending out is that they give more consideration to the prevention of burglaries than people's safety.  You are more likely to be the victim of the former and they don't have to pay out for the latter.

Of course the need to jump out of buildings and get impaled on railings or break legs or ankles, never mind how do you get granny out, can be avoided by good smoke detection, until the low battery warning starts chirping.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 10:17:50 AM »
Thanks guys, the ADB clearly accepts locks and child stays on escape windows in domestic premises which I think is acceptable. In non domestic premises I would agree keys usually in glass fronted boxes are a strict no. no because of the number of people involved, the wrong key in the box or covered in metal foil which is likely to create serious problems. In domestic premises they would be a last resort and the keys are most likely to be in the lock, number of people will be small and the head of the household is likely to ensure the windows are available for normal use if nothing else. Reliable fire detectors should ensure the principle MoE will be available if needed, so escape windows are a last resort but still necessary.
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Offline greensafe

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 10:23:44 AM »
Hi Tom sutton,

Lightweight with Gates advantage is the patented key-less design. Easy to use handle allows you to quickly clear the pulley, safe, key-less output. Seniors, people with disabilities can in a few seconds the output to a safe place with 2 Easy Out steps.
Push the red cover, reduce the handle. Internal pins instantly unlock, letting the door twice.
Open the door twice
For easy and safe exit.

For more kind of this information about safety management course link removed by moderatorclick here
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 04:39:53 PM by kurnal »

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 04:36:31 PM »
Greensafe I am sorry to say that your posting does not make sense and appears to be an attempt to exploit this forum for advertising  unrelated services. Please be advised that any further postings of this nature will not be welcome.

Kurnal, Firenet moderator.