Author Topic: Fire fighters - Crew Commanders - Driver - Crash or Structural - Afghan  (Read 13528 times)

Offline Conor

A fantastic opportunity has arisen within a leading international defence contracting company for experienced and committed fire fighter's to work on a ongoing contract on Kandahar airbase.

The successful candidate will be responsible for participating in fire fighting operations, rescue operations, fire prevention programs, fire fighting training activities. Shall be able to prepare reports concerning the fire services; participate in the inspection, testing and maintenance of fixed and portable fire extinguishing systems, water distribution systems and all other equipment related to the fire services.

Specific Accountabilities:
 * Shall drive and operate fire fighting apparatus and utility vehicles, under supervision, including the following:
* Taking action as required by SOP's;
* Comply with fire department policy;
* Perform in a professional manner that prevents damage, loss or unnecessary financial loss to Fire Department equipment and materials;
* Accepting responsibility for errors or personal shortcomings and be able to accept constructive criticism and correct downfalls; and
* Be familiar with safety regulations, in particular the safety regulations which pertain to the Fire Services and operations. No deviation is permitted from approved practices especially with respect to safety equipment.
* Participates in Fire Prevention and Life Safety inspections and conducting:
* Instructing non-fire fighting personnel and various organized groups
* Conducting fire inspections;
* Participates in the inspection, testing and maintenance of all fixed or portable extinguishing or detection systems, fire apparatus and water distribution systems
 * Assisting in the inspection, testing and maintenance of all fire suppression systems, fire detection systems, fire alarm systems, water distribution systems
* Carrying out inspections, testing and maintenance of hand portable Firefighting equipment. Life Safety equipment and fire fighting vehicles.

Educational & Experience Requirements:
 * Hold a valid civilian driver license
 * Qualified to NFPA Standards or Equivalent;
* NFPA 1001, Fire fighter Qualifications;
* NFPA1002 Fire Apparatus driver /Operator;
* NFPA 1003 Airport Firefighter / NFPA Airport Crash Driver; and
* NFPA 472 Haz-Mat.

ALTHOUGH THESE ARE ALL AMERICAN QUALIFICATIONS THE CLIENT WILL HIRE UK FIRE PROFESSIONALS BUT WE DO NEED TO SEE COPIES OF YOUR UK CERTIFCATES

Package:
67,000 – 80,000 USD per year (this is inclusive of all hazard pay and uplifts) – WE DO OFFER 3 MONTHS FULLY PAID LEAVE PER YEAR

This equates to £41,000 to £49,000 per year , depending on experience

We are also looking for the following people , as you can see we need a total of over 30 fire fighters both airport experience and structural so if you have any friends please ask them to send their resumes

Serial   Position Title   Qualifications Required   Remarks   Numbers Needed

Structural Leader Engine   3 needed
Crew Commander              8 needed
Driver Operator               6 needed
Crewman                          13 needed

I believe the hours are 60 hours per week.

Rotation of 3 months in country and 1 month out of country, this equates to 3 months paid leave a year.

Accommodation, Food, Laundry, Flights etc. are all provided.

This job based inside the camp, the entire role is based within the wire. Life on Kandahar is not as austere as one may think; there are over 25,000 people on the base. The base itself is more like a small town and boasts various dining facilities, gyms, a nightclub, Burger King, Pizza hut, Starbucks, a hockey Rink, wireless internet and libraries etc.

If you are interested please can you complete and send me your updated CV/Resume as a word document and also all copies of fire fighting related certificates and I will give you a call straight away.

Please can you write a few lines as to why you feel that you are suitable for the position.

If this is not for you, please can you think of anyone who has the right level of experience for such a position?

Regards,

Conor O'Callaghan
Millar Cameron

00 44 1235 856 036 (t)
00 44 1235 436 268 (f)
00 44 7920 119 334 (c)
conor_ocallaghan (Skype)

conor@millarcameron.com

Offline Clevelandfire 3

Conor

Unfortunately the structure of the UK fire service isn't the same as US Fire Dept. UK firefighters are multi skilled rather than trained in specific areas - ie ladder companies( no offence is meant by that) Structural Leader engine ? What is that role? that description means nothing to me. Crewman? Crewman of what? are they firefighters? are they ladder people?  You need to see certificates? . There is no national certifcation scheme for uk firefighters. Competency does not differ from brigade to brigade but no certificates or qualifications? Certificates areny issued to uk firefighters you just get a very poor folder with signatures from trainers to say you are competent in various disciplines these days unlike NFPA standards.Im not trying to be awkward or rude, I just felt you should know that the system in the UK is different to that in the US so you may need to reword or eloborate on the roles and skills you desire
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 11:50:44 PM by Clevelandfire 3 »

Offline Mr. P

I have worked at higher management level within US Fire Depts. and never heard engine leader either.

Offline seth119

Hello there  I applied for this post was dismissed at the first hurdle ( crew manger) who is BA Instructor 15 years experience  I tried to explain to the recruitment consultant the difference between local Authority firefghter and an airport firefighter. He said no they wanted both turned out to be a total waste of time. I do not why they have advertised for when  they want people to meet USA standards.

Offline AnthonyB

• Firenet Extinguisher Expert
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.firewizard.co.uk
Still a very dangerous place to work as well I'd think
Anthony Buck
Owner & Fire Safety Consultant at Fire Wizard

Extinguisher/Fire History Enthusiast

Fire Extinguisher Facebook Group:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=65...415&ref=ts
http://www.youtube.com/user/contactacb
https://uk.linkedin.com/in/anthony-buck-36