Author Topic: making the dream  (Read 8075 times)

Offline webbey

making the dream
« on: May 23, 2011, 04:52:21 PM »
 Hello everyone  i just wanted to ask if anyone  could tell me or any stories of how long it took them  to reach there dream because I'm a 24 year old man who like many have always wanted to be a firefighter .i had done work experience at a airport service when younger and knew this was my calling so when 19/20 started applying and got to the interview stage for west Sussex and royal berkshire but failed since then try for both again and surrey,gatwick and heathrow but failed at written stage i am dyslexic but had reader at first couple i don't use it as an excused just gutted let myself down when opportunity arise i will never give up but would just like to know thanks everyone  

« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 04:58:59 PM by webbey »

Offline Cat

• I can't wait to drive with flishy flashy woo woo's
Re: making the dream
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 10:43:10 PM »
Hi Webbey,

I am not in the Fire Service yet however as a 25 yr old F I have been trying to get in since 2007.  I have applied to 4 different FRS in 6 applications.  Everytime I have got to the fitness tests and failed although I nearly got to interview the last time I applied but due to the high standard in the groups following me I was halted again.  It is nice to hear of someone who is so determined to get in and not give up.

Good luck.  Im sure if you can get to interview and pass it you will be fine.

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 08:06:49 AM »
I joined in 1977.

I was having a pint with a friend already in the job on a Wednesday evening moaning how I hated my job. He told me there were jobs going in my Brigade. I rang the Divisional Commander of my nearest Div HQ on the Thursday and he invited me to immediately come and sit the entrance exam followed by the carry which I did. I attended the day after for the interview and medical and started in the training school on the following Monday.

It was probably because he saw quality.

How times have changed.

We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline SamFIRT

• Looking for the truth
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 08:19:07 AM »
That is the whole point. Times have changed.

It is oh so very difficult for youngsters to get any job these days. I have three daughters and a stepson. The two older ones have excellent qualifications and are working for peanuts after trying for years to get meaningful employment. One is employed by the government in a casual temporary position that has now lasted 5 years! I really don’t know what is wrong with our employers. Why won’t they give people a chance like they did 30 years ago? They all seem to want the perfect person with the best qualifications and experience. But no one is willing to give any of these young people experience. Unless they are willing to work for nothing. Even Fire services and Police forces are going this way. You must volunteer first!  ::)

Brave new world!?!     :-\
Sam

Midland Retty

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 10:05:39 AM »
Hi Webbey

Don't give up - keep trying!

The current recruitment procedure is flawed, badly flawed, but don't let that put you off. Alot of public service brigades aren't recruiting at the moment for wholetime staff due to the financial climate.

Many however sare still recruiting retained firefighters - whilst not perhaps what you are looking for if you are young free and single, and can be fairly flexible in where you live and work then becoming a retained firefighter in the interim may be worth a look.

Also keep an eye on the Ministry of Defence Fire & Rescue Service they recruit occassionally too!

Eitherway I wish all the best - you will get into the fire service - just stick at it!

Offline webbey

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 09:07:19 PM »

Hi people thank you all for your experience's i will keep going and good luck cat know how you feel just keep at it in the gym maybe you can do my written test and i do you physical and we have half a chance lol . and thanks Midland fire i put in applications for retained but it is full where i live at the moment.anyone let us know your stories.

Offline Cat

• I can't wait to drive with flishy flashy woo woo's
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 08:39:20 PM »
Well one of the PQA's that they assess is teamwork so..... yes please  ;D Lol.

Good luck to you too and don't you give up either.

Offline tmprojects

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 12:03:57 AM »
That is the whole point. Times have changed.

It is oh so very difficult for youngsters to get any job these days. I have three daughters and a stepson. The two older ones have excellent qualifications and are working for peanuts after trying for years to get meaningful employment. One is employed by the government in a casual temporary position that has now lasted 5 years! I really don’t know what is wrong with our employers. Why won’t they give people a chance like they did 30 years ago? They all seem to want the perfect person with the best qualifications and experience. But no one is willing to give any of these young people experience. Unless they are willing to work for nothing. Even Fire services and Police forces are going this way. You must volunteer first!  ::)

Brave new world!?!     :-\

Not brave... idiotic.

having said that, its nice to see that some businesses are starting to realise every doesn't need a degree to get a job. A new and strange concept of on-the-job training is becoming fashionable. oh wait a minute we've had that before... The good old YTS. ;D

Offline bungle

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 02:50:31 PM »
But those graduate schemes are working so well, they must be , my FRS says so!!!
 ::)