Author Topic: Beams and their affect on Automatic Fire Detection  (Read 16722 times)

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
Beams and their affect on Automatic Fire Detection
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2005, 11:54:15 PM »
No, Graeme. I know you will not believe this as I still find it hard to do so, but allegedly some fire alarm people could not work out if these detectors were to go INSIDE the lift shaft or outside. So the use of accommodation is meant to help the educationally sub-normal reader work out that  no, you dont put them inside the lift shaft, so stopping the lift from going up and down, but you actually put them OUTSIDE the shaft in the ''accommodation''. Dont blame me please. I am only the messenger of such nonsense.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Graeme

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2005, 11:59:25 PM »
Thanks Colin.It was one of those things that seem obvious when you read it out but still makes you think.
never thought of putting one in the lift shaft.Apollo don't make a floating one yet.

Offline Allen Higginson

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2005, 01:22:59 AM »
Quote from: Graeme Millar
Thanks Colin.It was one of those things that seem obvious when you read it out but still makes you think.
never thought of putting one in the lift shaft.Apollo don't make a floating one yet.
Have seen and maintained detectors at the top of lift shafts AND situated at the bottom!!!

Graeme

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2005, 07:41:47 PM »
as in buildings such as games halls and farm barns etc with steel beam construction where the roof does not sit flat on the beam but has a gap. Is the gap i.e 150mm big enough to allow free passage of smoke across the ceiling under the beams?
Thus discounting the beam as a wall which is bigger than 10% of ceiling height or do i still treat each one as a wall?
At present i treat them as walls but wondered if there is a minimum gap allowed

Have asked this before so apologies for being boring and curious about beams again. I do think about other things now and again.

g

Offline Allen Higginson

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2005, 02:17:00 AM »
Well.If you have floor to ceiling racking or partition walling that comes to within 300mm of the ceiling then it's treated as a wall so (and I'm sure I'll get knocked back quicker than a pint of Guinness if I'm wrong!) I would say it's the same for your beams.

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2005, 09:13:07 AM »
Graeme you also have to watch out that over a long distance the beam has not spread out to much. It is not like a laser, and does spread out quite a bit over a long distance.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Graeme

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2005, 12:43:16 PM »
as ever Gents-Colin and Buzzer i thank you.

I will carry on as before and treat as walls.