Author Topic: Photocopiers in single staircase premises  (Read 26903 times)

Peter Cornhill

Photocopiers in single staircase premises
« on: September 21, 2005, 10:26:39 AM »
Can anyone offer me some further information about the above. More specifically, some of the history behind why this may be deemed as unacceptable (is there case history?).

Apart from the information in Approved document B and BS 5588: Part 11: 1997 (9.2.2), I can not find any other guidance.

From a risk assessment point of view, I do not feel comfortable with a photcopier in a single staircase situation even if it has an MCB with a detector above and good waste management! However, we are entering (or do I mean at last marketing) the new non-prescriptive RA era.

Can someone perhaps enlighten/eduacte me?

Offline NEIL M

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 10:34:57 AM »
i dont no about enlighten but the message tells me that the photocopiers are unacceptable because of the 1801 act of cheif. carline who demanded it a unacceptable act. to attire more information on this topic call me on 07910290410 ask for carl milson

Offline AnthonyB

• Firenet Extinguisher Expert
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.firewizard.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 10:04:46 PM »
1801 & photocopiers?? Strange history.

As well as the obvious risk in the past the fire certificate requirements for maintaining means of escape usually ruled them out
Anthony Buck
Owner & Fire Safety Consultant at Fire Wizard

Extinguisher/Fire History Enthusiast

Fire Extinguisher Facebook Group:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=65...415&ref=ts
http://www.youtube.com/user/contactacb
https://uk.linkedin.com/in/anthony-buck-36

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 08:33:43 AM »
I assume the photocopier is in the stairway enclosure.

If their is only one stair we should do our best to avoid any potential fire risk. There was a time when photocopiers were regarded as a high risk, I don't think that is still valid anymore but I still wouldnt want one in the enclosures of the only way out of a building.

Offline andyrew

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 08:48:08 AM »
If we are talking about risk assessment then everything is relative. One means of escape increases the risk without anything on it, with a photocopier the risk is increased.
Also the photocopier is acting as an obstacle and should therefore be removed as this is a fire exit route.
Although a photocopier is fairly safe (I've never known one to go on fire and I used to maintain them many years ago) they do use heat to fuse the toner to the paper and therfore are a potential risk particularly if there was a paper jam.

Offline Simon Morriss

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 09:50:54 AM »
In very simple terms, any electrical equipment is a fire risk.

All fire exit routes must be kept sterile.  Even if we assume the photocopier is "safe" which is isn't, you will also get the piles of paper and other stationary stored next to the machine.

The message is keep all escape routes sterile!!

Simon

Offline ian gough

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 10:58:23 AM »
I'm not sure I'd lose any sleep over this - certainly if the building is just 2 storey.
I would also advise you take other things into account such as the building being generally well managed and tidy - or otherwise.
Also, if the photocopier looks at the end of its days (maybe like all other electrical equipment as these things tend to follow) or brand new and in good order, is another factor; as is the people using the building.  
The decision is yours!

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2005, 07:36:36 PM »
Blimey Ian!

What do you do when youre doing an FRA, line up the staff and check if they have clean shoes?

However well managed the building is (or how nice the staff look) something electrical may still catch fire and on a single stair theres no other way out.

I suppose if the building is small enough (anybody affected can see the offending machine) I might just about be able to live with this.

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 08:19:31 AM »
I would lose sleep over this, and I dont ever wear clean shoes.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Offline ian gough

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2005, 08:50:12 AM »
Brian, if that's all that you can find wrong in a building - keep calm. but you should get the sleeping pills ready for doing FRAs of schools and hospitals!

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2005, 04:06:18 PM »
I suppose this highlights one of the drawbacks of the brave new world of Risk assessment.

What is an acceptable level of risk? Its entirely subjective and even experienced fire safety wallahs disagree on the simplest of questions.

Saying that we used to disagree under the old system ?!

Offline colin todd

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2005, 06:48:04 PM »
Brian, I am worried. I find your postings more and more full of common sense things that I say myself. Am I in danger of becoming a civil servant???? You have hit the nail dead centre with the above posting. A major pill that we all have to swallow is that if you want 100% consistency it is easy-just go for 0% flexibility. If you want 100% flexibility then you have 0% consistency. Your lords and masters (some days a week) are committed to lack of prescription and flexibility, so we need to accept that there will be a shortage of consistency, as a result of subjectivity. In short there will be no right or wrong answers any more. This is a concept that, happily, a lot of I/Os now understand and accept. The message is to justify the findings of the FRA in the documented significant findings.

Offline dave bev

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2005, 10:10:59 PM »
the dangers of prescription are the charges you pay the chemist. sometimes you can get the same medicines over the counter at a cheaper price than the prescription charges. put a bit more simpler, you dont always get what you think you are getting. the trick is to ask the right questions, make sure the answers actually relate to the questions that need answering and then make a decision, remembering you may have to swallow it at the end of the day!

even if it is a bitter pill!

edit added - ok, i know its a convoluted answer so perhaps this may help - the doctor tells you need to take something/do something to deal with an issue. the doctor writes a prescription out detailing exactly what you need to do, however when you go to the chemist they tell you there is a 'cheaper' way of achieving the end result - who is wrong? the doctor for giving you a prescritpion in a detailed solution, the chemist for advising you of a different solution achievable at a lower cost or you for not seeking an alternative medicine?

is that better?

dave bev

Offline ian gough

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2005, 09:57:55 AM »
Brian, that's why I posted my original reply! I guessed it would draw some response, however, FRA is always going to generate differing opinions. The question is: how will the brave new world respond to all this??

Offline colin todd

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2005, 01:29:53 PM »
Ian, With sympathy and understanding and no cases in the Court of Appeal over matters on which the fire authority could never win. Brave new world out there.