Author Topic: Photocopiers in single staircase premises  (Read 26902 times)

Offline Brian Downes

• 'he must always carry his appliances with him'
Photocopiers in single staircase premises
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2005, 02:06:51 PM »
Yeah... I know, then the desk, and the receptionist...maybe a jackbooted NO from the fire officer would be the functional solution!
Magna est veritas et praevalebit

Offline dave bev

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2005, 10:33:39 AM »
colin re 'can you' question i posed.

your answer, although factual may not be technically and politically correct.

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2005, 11:47:12 AM »
Oh I think it is technically correct Davey. I will leave the politics to you. I am apolitical.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

messy

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2005, 07:03:39 AM »
How about the issue of receptions in single staircase buildings (esp on the G floor)?

I accept it is dependant on a number of variables and has been accepted in fire certs (with restrictions) in the past when reception consisted of a desk, a bakelite phone and a diary. The only combustible item being the can of hairspray in receptionist's handbag.

But a modern reception area may well have two PCs, and air con unit and a fair amount of paperwork.

I accept that the type of AFD should be considered as a control measure and that for most buildings, receptions are rarely left unmanned, but where should one draw the line as the issue is surely preventing smoke in the 1st place, rather than informing occupiers of the presence of smoke in the stairwell?

Offline steve walker

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2005, 11:12:40 AM »
Since this cannot be covered in a simple guide it is a fire engineering question. Each case must be taken on its merits. It is ok if the occupants can safely escape from the building before any potential fire has produced enough smoke and or heat to stop them. It will be up to the responsible person to provide evidence that this is the case.
The views expressed in this forum are personal and not necessarily those of my employer.

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2005, 02:21:21 PM »
You are right, Messey. AFD is not the answer to everything, although people tend to treat it as such without thinking through the actual scenarios.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates