Author Topic: !00% service question ?  (Read 7050 times)

Offline Benzerari

• http://benzerari.tripod.com/fas/
!00% service question ?
« on: November 21, 2008, 05:25:03 PM »
If a 100% service is required and a couple of detectors are found to be, for some reasons inaccessible the whole year, would that be enough to check the analogue values of the non tested detectors, and if they are OK,  we can then issue the 100% service certificate.

I would like an answer from BS recommendations point of view, and not just technical…!

Thank you

Offline Wiz

Re: !00% service question ?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 06:02:09 PM »
BS recommends that point smoke detectors should be tested by a method that confirms that smoke can enter the detector chamber and produce a fire alarm signal.

So Benz ,the answer to your question is no;  checking the analogue value of an analogue addressable detector is not a sufficient test to say that the detector has been tested.

Offline Thomas Brookes

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 07:41:09 PM »
I agree with Wiz, all devices must be tested.
I refuse to have a battle of wittts with an unarmed person.

Offline Benzerari

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 08:46:08 PM »
Thanks Wiz and Tom, I will change the service certificate next week saying only 90% service has been done the rest 10% were not accessible.

Offline Allen Higginson

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 11:51:30 PM »
Thanks Wiz and Tom, I will change the service certificate next week saying only 90% service has been done the rest 10% were not accessible.
Can I ask why they are not accessible?

Offline Benzerari

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 12:02:02 AM »
So many reasons; lift shaft detectors which needs special lift engineer to get us access, locked lift motor rooms, boiler rooms, risers, unused rooms, labs with Biohazards... etc the list is so long, there are no master key to suit all doors and some times the owner sets its own code...etc, even reporting to customer these issues, we never achieved to get all area ready accessible for us, mean while the customer want us to issue a certificate saying the service is done 100%... etc

Offline Allen Higginson

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 01:59:48 AM »
THere are no areas that cannot be tested once sufficient advanced notice is given. You are right in not issuing the certificate but I would make them aware of the ressons by citing section 46 of 5839.

Offline Thomas Brookes

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 08:28:21 AM »
One method I have used in the past to gain access to places the customer says are not availible.
When you are on site test some of the system then create a fault on the zone where the detectors you need to get to are.
Then go find the man in charge, and it needs to be the big cheese of the company. As he is stood next to the squeeling panel tell him there is some sort of a fault in the locked area, Ive found 9 times out of 10 the keys will suddenly be found. Then fix the fault and test the device.

The other side is Buzzard said, give them plenty of notice telling of the rooms you need particular access and then you should be able to gain access.

Offline Benzerari

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 04:48:23 PM »
This reminded me in the old days, some one used to repair the window's glasses and when the business turn down, he send his son to break some window's glasses in some rich area..., after an hour time or so, he come across while calling; who wants glass repair?... Who wants glass repair? (The way it used to be in the old days...).

At the end of the day he gets home happy... good marketing though... creating demand... instead of waiting for demand to be created.

Good thought Tom

Offline Thomas Brookes

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 08:50:10 PM »
Benz,

You did not get my point at all,

Im not saying charge the customer for fixing the fault, Im saying by having a fault 99% of building owners or managers will get you access to find the fault, giving you access to the areas you were not able to get into.

I personally have never left a system not fully serviced over a year, and to be honest if a building owner was refusing to let me do my job I would not give him a certificate passing his system as fully working.

Offline Benzerari

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 09:43:53 PM »
Benz,

You did not get my point at all,

Im not saying charge the customer for fixing the fault, Im saying by having a fault 99% of building owners or managers will get you access to find the fault, giving you access to the areas you were not able to get into.

I personally have never left a system not fully serviced over a year, and to be honest if a building owner was refusing to let me do my job I would not give him a certificate passing his system as fully working.

I do Believe you Tom, I am just joking with the story, but I don't mean that you are charging the customer for a created faults, I am sorry once again if you felt guilty.  :)