Author Topic: Definitions  (Read 1378 times)

Offline lyledunn

Definitions
« on: April 12, 2023, 09:05:10 PM »
What is the difference between ?escape route? and ?means of escape?

Offline Crusher

Re: Definitions
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2023, 09:50:53 AM »
From my perspective/understanding, 'means of escape' includes everything required to leave the premises from your location at the time of alarm/discovery, until you are at a safe place outside of the building i.e. at the bus stop.

This would include rooms, corridors, spaces, protected routes, fire exits, external stairs, evac lifts, ramps, hoists etc. It would also extend to locks on gates in enclosed yards!

Offline lyledunn

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2023, 01:25:36 PM »
It might seem a bit of a daft question that I am posing but I am trying to understand a requirement in BS7671 which impacts on some crucial aspects of electrical installation work
So, would you consider a protected corridor in a hotel, for example, to be a protected escape route?

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2023, 04:43:16 PM »
In an open plan office the whole floor is an escape route - doesn't really make sense but that's codes for you

Offline lyledunn

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2023, 08:31:49 PM »
My question had its roots in an ambiguous requirement for protected escape routes in BS7671A2 2022. However, a corrigendum was released by IET just this month to clarify the situation. All now reasonably clear.

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2023, 12:09:10 PM »
Thats good to know, what does it say?