Author Topic: Multi-occupied office block single means of escape  (Read 4326 times)

Offline Adam L

Multi-occupied office block single means of escape
« on: April 07, 2008, 04:31:30 PM »
Hi, this is my first post on the forum and any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure about the adequacy of the provision of means of escape from a multi occupied building, the building consists of
- Basement car park, no AFD, stairwell has lobby with FD's
- Ground floor, entrance lobby/corridor leading to main stair, 2 retail units, these retail units have access into the lobby/corridor via FDs. AFD to common lobby/corridor only. (the retail units are bare after being stripped during recent refurbishment works)
- 1st to 4th floor, office accommodation off main stairwell (each floor has between 1-3 tenants in independent offices), AFD to stairwell and offices to L3.

Means of escape are the main stairwell which goes from basement to fourth floor and an escape stair to the rear from ground floor to fourth floor, due to the splitting of each floor from one demises into 3, many tenants now have the main stairs as their only means of escape.

There is no smoke ventilation, pressurisation, sprinklers etc. Emergency lighting and escape signage is provided.

I think that the GF retail units require AFD to provide early warning but Im not sure under which legislation I can say makes this is a legal requirement, any comments.

Also I'm not sure if the basement car park would require AFD due to the lobbies opening onto the main stairwell (only MoE for some tenants), would the lobbies with FD's suffice due to the small quantity of combustible materials?   Unfortunately I dont know the rating of the FD's - Im looking into that.

I hope this is an adequate description of the building and isnt too confusing, didnt think it would be so hard to describe a building. If you want any further info please state.

ps, is there a facility of uploading sketches e.g. a building plan?

Offline stevew

• http://firesureuk.co.ok
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 07:21:13 PM »
Hi Adam L

No disrespect to yourself.  I  have, since the introduction of the RRO seen a trend on this site where individuals are not just discussing fire safety but almost expecting members to carry out an online FRA.

I would suggest that you formally approach an appropriately qualified fire risk assessor to assist you on this matter.  The other alternative is to undertake the assessment and then approach the FA for comment on matters contained in YOUR RA.  They should offer advice however be aware that you may not get prescriptive free advice.  Worse case scenario would be that they issue you wth an enforcement notice.  Dont laugh or should i say cry, I seen it happen.

Steve

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 08:00:15 PM »
The subdivision of the office units has left the means of escape from the upper floors inadequate.

Guidance would suggest that:

For offices any floor at a height of more than 11m should have an alternative means of escape
Where there is a single staircase it should not continue to the basement.

These are significant shortcomings and whilst they can be overcome some physical separation of the stair between ground floor and basement, and lobby protection to the stairs together with full AFD may be a way forward if all other factors are favourable.

Offline Adam L

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 11:31:27 AM »
Many thanks for taking the time to reply,

stevew, you are right in a sense about it seeming like Im wanting members to undertake a FRA, but I'd like to think of it more as a second opinion to back up my own. I will see if the FA have any comments regarding the findings of the FRA. Thanks for the advice.

kurnal, the recommendations you give are what I would like to see, unfortunatley making two means of escape for the floor above 11m will involve kicking out tenants etc due to poor previous management of the building. I'll continue to look into this.

Again thanks for your time and if anyone else has had a similar issue Id be interested to hear how you overcame the problem.