Author Topic: EU Working time regualtions  (Read 12772 times)

Offline afterburner

EU Working time regualtions
« on: January 23, 2009, 01:59:55 PM »
In three years the UK 'opt out' of the EU Working Time Regs. comes to an end.

Grampian F&RS are pointing out that an (unintended) effect of these Regs could impact directly on the working availability of retained firefighters.

does anyone have detail on this?

Offline nearlythere

Re: EU Working time regualtions
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 02:10:08 PM »
In three years the UK 'opt out' of the EU Working Time Regs. comes to an end.

Grampian F&RS are pointing out that an (unintended) effect of these Regs could impact directly on the working availability of retained firefighters.

does anyone have detail on this?
Don't have details but you could try the FBU website.
It will also be a problem for F&R Services regarding Flexi Fire Officers who also have on call hours, 36 I think, in addition to their 42 office hours.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline Tinker401

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 07:46:41 PM »
http://www.rfuonline.co.uk/ for plenty of up to date info

Offline afterburner

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 09:21:29 AM »
Thanks Tinker

explains why some parties are suggesting 'no problem', but are we blundering into one of those unintended effects and lose our RDS service?

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 10:21:33 AM »
Thanks Tinker

explains why some parties are suggesting 'no problem', but are we blundering into one of those unintended effects and lose our RDS service?
Some parties are suggesting "no problem" because politicians give not a toot about providing a high standard of fire cover in the UK. The current standard in the UK would be just a pipe dream in many other countries.
Having just been to a far flung country on holiday I stayed in a large town which had many hotels and guesthouses. My guest house owner told me that the nearest fire station was 1 hour away and when a building goes on fire it usually burns down.

Offline afterburner

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 11:20:22 AM »
Hi Nearly,

yes this has been my experience too and other European places I've visited seem to operate on a very comprehensive form of the RDS. (especially those that had a system of deferring National Armed Forces Service if service the fire brigade was substituted).

I am recalling that when European directives on PPE came in it had an immediate impact on the 'volunteer' stations on the Islands and far north west area of Scotland. In effect the fire authority had real problems meeting the cost of full impementation.

In such rural areas, where there is not a huge population to select a retained crew from, what options will be availabel to the fire authorities to crew an appliance?

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 11:59:06 AM »
Hi Nearly,

yes this has been my experience too and other European places I've visited seem to operate on a very comprehensive form of the RDS. (especially those that had a system of deferring National Armed Forces Service if service the fire brigade was substituted).

I am recalling that when European directives on PPE came in it had an immediate impact on the 'volunteer' stations on the Islands and far north west area of Scotland. In effect the fire authority had real problems meeting the cost of full impementation.

In such rural areas, where there is not a huge population to select a retained crew from, what options will be availabel to the fire authorities to crew an appliance?
Thus why the big push to encourage females to join. Nothing wrong with that as long as you have at least 2 on an appliance.

Offline Tinker401

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 09:13:01 AM »
http://www.theyworkforyou.com/debate/?id=2009-01-22a.907.3

"Harriet Harman (Lord Privy Seal, House of Commons; Camberwell & Peckham, Labour) Link to this | Hansard source | Watch this

The hon. Gentleman has made a detailed and complex point, although it is actually about the simple and important issue of providing adequate fire cover at all times for all communities, including isolated rural communities. Perhaps I could raise the matter with my right hon. Friend the Secretary of State for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform and ask him to write to the hon. Gentleman, to see whether he can allay his concerns."

Obviously, Harriet is happy with the WTD and its impact on the RDS and as such her Friend will write to Alistair and tell him not to be so stupid and stop opening cans of worms.

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 10:03:58 AM »
No that's politico speak for "thats not in my brief so I dont know the answer"

Offline Tinker401

stuart.hood

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 07:46:07 PM »
All retained personnel could probably go voluntary, therefore are not be employed, as they do on most of the continent.

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 11:03:13 PM »
All retained personnel could probably go voluntary, therefore are not be employed, as they do on most of the continent.
Can't see them doing it for nothing.

Offline Mr. P

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 08:07:02 AM »
Is there/was there not a section which allows for 'emergency' workers? Thought I'd read somewhere that police , fire etc. would not be fully controlled/restricted by the EU regs by virtue of the necessity of the type of work. :-\

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 06:44:53 AM »
Not only F&R Services that will be affected.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7859743.stm