Author Topic: Reducing the number of FRS fatalities  (Read 5911 times)

Offline Tom Sutton

Reducing the number of FRS fatalities
« on: March 22, 2010, 02:58:47 PM »
I received the following enquiry and can anybody throw any light on this or is it another urban myth.

“One area that is of particular interest is the Moral Issue faced by an individual when carrying out their primary role.

The reason for my email is this.... I seem to remember reading somewhere that formal recognition of acts of bravery/gallantry for Fire Service Personnel was removed and as a result this had the effect of reducing the number of Fire Service Personnel fatalities... somewhere along the lines of 12 fatalities per year reduced to 2.

Unfortunately, i have not been able to find any documents, explaining the rationale behind this decision, the statistical data to back it up, or indeed confirming if it actually happened or whether it was just a discussion point? Are you able to throw any light on this subject please?”
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
Re: Reducing the number of FRS fatalities
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 03:41:10 PM »
I see such an argument as rather an insult to the best traditions ofthe fire service. As if we would be motivated by medals? Apply such an argument to the armed forces and you would have a riot.

Fact is that it is more likely to be the use of dynamic risk assessment and better standards of equipment, especially PPE, that have reduced the losses.

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 04:41:20 PM »
Reminds me of a thread a few months ago where a poster suggested that firefighters where not trying hard enough as there were not enough dying.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline jokar

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 06:11:04 PM »
Any one seen the new HSE protocol on Operational firefighting?  It seems that the public have an unreal expectation that firefighters will do that sort of thing.

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 07:35:38 PM »
I am not sure the statistic are correct I am not aware of 12 fire fighter fatalities in one year. Also I am not aware of any FRS that has banned awards and if fatalities have reduced, which I am not sure they have, then it is more likely to be Kurnal suggestion that has achieve it.

http://www.kingfell.com/~forum/index.php?topic=3680.0
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 07:43:30 PM by twsutton »
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Offline Clevelandfire 3

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 11:19:44 PM »
Another sceptical product courtesy of the fire service rumour mill. Maliciouslly created I would say. Firefighters join the job to help people. They don't do it for awards or shiney medals or pomp and circumstance or to be called heroes.

I wouldnt even accuse the principal officers in my old brigade of that either. They were just content at ticking boxes, getting as much good press as possible, smooching the appropriate backsides and empire building. Even they wouldnt stoop so low as to strut about with a raft of medals on their chests or make on they were heros worthy of appropriate recognition. Its not in the fire service culture to medal hunt, nor is it to give up on saveable life. Thankfully things havent got that bad yet dont you worry.

Midland Retty

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 12:28:52 PM »
It is an urban myth. End of.