Author Topic: HSE position on Dynamic Risk Assessment  (Read 15965 times)

Midland Retty

HSE position on Dynamic Risk Assessment
« on: March 29, 2010, 01:52:38 PM »
A Union safety rep has told me that the HSE want to see the process of dynamic risk assessment within UK Brigades scrapped because it gives senior officers too many "get out clauses" when things go wrong.

According to the rep the HSE instead want to see more set policies and procedures in place to guide incident commanders on the course of action to be taken at an incident rather than " dynamically risk assessment" each situation.

Apparently the HSE have said that there should be no occassion where a set procedure cant be used to deal with a given situation as most variables at a fire scene / emergencies remain largely generic(?)

Has anyone else heard of this or is it the usual chinese whispers / rumour mill at work?

Offline Davo

Re: HSE position on Dynamic Risk Assessment
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 04:36:09 PM »
MR

Let me kill this!
Far from it, HSE/CFOA etc have issued a joint statement on Dynamic Risk Assessment similar to the Police one

http://news.hse.gov.uk/page/4/

davo

Midland Retty

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 05:26:48 PM »
Thanks for that Davo

Strangely enough this myth has been perpetuated further by rumours that the HSE will allow Police Officers to undertake dynamic risk assessments because of the sheer different types of incidents they deal with, but not fire officers, which would be most bizzare if true.

Unfortunately I remain partly sceptical about the joint press release, but it does dispell the myth that Dynamic Risk Assessment is on its way out. So good job all round Davo! ;D

Offline Davo

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 07:10:31 PM »
MR

Up here it was me wot nicked the idea of DRA from the Fire Service guides which the Home Office issued c 1998 ;D
I think whoever wrote them had seen the Police RA guides from the previous year which were shall we say work in progress!

Of course the incident commander and senior staff need adequate training underpinned by ordinary RAs.

They will use this as a starter for ten :D

davo

Offline FSO

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 01:01:16 PM »
I have a copy if anybody is that interested.