Author Topic: Not allowed to apply for two firefighter jobs together?????  (Read 6602 times)

Offline daied

Not allowed to apply for two firefighter jobs together?????
« on: February 13, 2008, 10:10:57 AM »
Hi,
   As the title says you are not supposed to apply for any more than one job at a time even if it's with a different fire service. Does anyone know why this is, as you could be wasting a lot of time hanging on for three months since your last application until you can apply again?
  Should I apply for more than one at a time as its a difficult job to get into and dont want to wait for months to apply again, can each service find out if you have logged an application elsewhere (say on a national database or something)?
 Thanks very much

Chris Houston

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 12:15:54 PM »
I don't see how someone you don't yet work for can impose conditions such as this.

Offline Dinnertime Dave

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 01:20:53 PM »
Don`t think there is a data base as such, but there is a question on some brigades application form.

Midland Retty

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 01:32:48 PM »
I think the reasoning is that because of the volume of people intrested and the time taken to process succesful or potential candidates they dont want to be in a position where they finally decide to call you in for tests or medicals or interviews only to find you are no longer available.

That said however as Chris said I dont think they can actually do anything to stop you applying for other fire brigades - and Data Protection law probably wouldnt allow fire services to share infromation specifically in that way.

Chris Houston

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 02:07:05 PM »
I have no sympathy for someone who doesn't want candidates to apply to more than one employer because THEY take a long time to process applications.  The better solution to their problem would be to process candidates quicker!

Offline Chunty

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 02:22:05 PM »
The problem is that there is a specific part of the nationalised application form asking you to declare previous or current applications and detail the outcome to date. Of course you could tell a big fat fib but later you have to sign the declaration 'true and honest' and all that. But I agree with all your sentiments, who the hell is one employer to tell you that you can't apply for a similar position with another employer whilst they dwell on your application to them, outrageous!

Offline bignorman

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 09:00:30 PM »
If you only apply for one brigade you will massively lower your chances of joing the fire service.. Personally, I say ignore it and apply to as many as you can....

Offline AllyMacG

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 10:15:41 PM »
i can understand not being able to have 2 live applications at the same time but the 3 month rule seems a bit pointless and strange, to me anyway.  As for the rest of it I agree with bignorman I am currently going through the recruitment proccess for one of the North West Brigades and wouldnt have any hesitation of applying elsewhere.  Not entirely playing by the rules but if you really want in the service then I would do it.  Also just a note, not all brigades seem to be doing this but it seems as though there are begining to be a more sizeable majority that are.