12 (44.4%)
IFPO
1 (3.7%)
none at all
6 (22.2%)
IFSM / NFRAR
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Register of Fire Risk Assessors & Auditors  (Read 37389 times)

Offline Tom W

Re: Register of Fire Risk Assessors & Auditors
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2012, 03:16:45 PM »
Whilst we are debating though I would like to know why exova aren't company UKAS registered.

As I understand it the FRACS system is going through the UKAS process.

Yes but thats now, they have been selling risk assessments for a while and the scheme has been there for a while. BB7 has it.

Offline William 29

• http://www.tfsltd.net
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2012, 04:32:14 PM »
Whilst we are debating though I would like to know why exova aren't company UKAS registered.

As I understand it the FRACS system is going through the UKAS process.

Yes but thats now, they have been selling risk assessments for a while and the scheme has been there for a while. BB7 has it.

So what is your point?

Offline Tom W

« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2012, 04:45:23 PM »
Its interesting to know the answer.

If its not good enough or worthwhile for its own company how can they honestly promote it as being of benefit for others?

If you sell cars, you can bet you drive a nice car, if you sell cakes you're probably overweight etc etc  ;D

« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 04:46:54 PM by Piglet »

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2012, 01:05:53 AM »
Golden, you are apparently being misled. Eli admitted that the Warrington scheme would not, in its original form, meet the competence standard. (I am not sure why, given that, when the standard was circulated round our staff for comment at the public comment stage, the consensus was that it was a doddle to meet and that those who could not meet it should not be doing FRAs.)  Has anyone bothered to read it.  Old Thomas Sutton could have walked it before he left the fire service years ago.  Yet Eli had to change the scheme to meet the standard.  It is not some counsel of perfection to which people will have to work hard to apire. It is just the basics of what anyone doing FRAS competently already knows.

Since the competence standard was only published at the end of the year, the Warrington scheme can only have been applying the standard for a matter of weeks. No one has said that the IFE do not support the competence standard so I do not know where you get that from, other than inuendos of those with a vested interest in promoting other schemes. The IFE were represented on the Council (by someone who received no payment and indeed LOST earnings by attending) while representatves of CBs were no doubt receiving a salary for sitting there.

The IFE have a meeting arranged to discuss what needs to be done. As they are not a commercial body, and have no commerical interest in selling the scheme , it may take a few weeks for volunteers, who do not receive a salary for modifying a scheme so it can be sold better to deal with the matter.  Until they do, no more can be said. But what I can say is that two people on the IFE Panel sit on the Competency Council so I think they will manage without the help of Eli who is not a fire risk assessor and so does not qualify as a Panel membr.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 10:38:10 PM by kurnal »
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2012, 02:34:18 PM »
I doubt it Colin my Alzheimer's was well advanced at that time.  :'(
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2012, 10:34:38 PM »
I  regret that this thread appears to be developing into an increasingly bitter and personalised argument between two or three highly respected fire safety professionals, all with valid but opposing views and interests. In light of some of the openly hostile postings I have decided to lock it.
If anyone wishes to debate the subject further please let us start as a fresh topic and please no more personal attacks.

After all in the final analysis most of us have vested interests in the fire industry and who is to judge the morality of the opposing positions? We also have a  right to express our opinion anonymously in accordance with the rules of this public forum.