Author Topic: Transfer from Airport Fireservice to LA  (Read 5190 times)

Offline spartan25

Transfer from Airport Fireservice to LA
« on: March 28, 2008, 09:02:06 PM »
Hello everyone

Does anyone know if its possible to Transfer from Airport FS to wholetime LA?

Any info would be great

Cheers

Clevelandfire

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 10:14:16 PM »
Im afraid there is no direct transfer route

LA to airport or airport to LA firefighters have to go through the same process as Joe Public and apply, sit the recruitment tests... silly really.

Offline fireftrm

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 10:57:46 PM »
CFOA have been looking at a policy on this, having the NVQ would help too.
My posts reflect my personal views and beliefs and not those of my employer. If I offend anyone it is usually unintentional, please be kind. If it is intentional I guess it will be clear!

Offline spartan25

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 12:05:19 AM »
Oh right thanks anyway mate.

The reason i ask is because i was browsing through the forums and there was a couple of posts where Airport firefighters transfred across to wholetime and was just seeing if there was any truth in it..

all the tests ie physical, written and interviews  for Airport and wholetime are pretty much the same process so why you would have to start from scratch is beyond me.

Clevelandfire

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 12:24:54 AM »
Quote from: spartan25
all the tests ie physical, written and interviews  for Airport and wholetime are pretty much the same process so why you would have to start from scratch is beyond me.
To be honest you will probably find the airport fire service tests (especially for high category) are tougher than LA these days

A mate of mine went for Heathrow and said the physical was extremely tough - like joing the marines he said

Offline Fireguy1230

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 11:11:25 AM »
The main problem is that there is no standard national recruitment process for the AFS. Each airport, or operating company, has their own recruitment process and different stages and score requirements. So it is difficult to monitor just how similar the two different services are when it comes to recruitment.

If the AFS adopted something similar to the National Firefighter system that the LA have, it would make cross mapping slightly more straight forward.

To turn the tables on this, we recently had an ex LA Watch Manager who had a vast portfolio of skills and qualifications who joined my AFS watch. He had to go through the whole recruitment process and do his basic again. Hopefully CFOA can look into this and make it more efficient.

Offline fireftrm

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 12:28:18 PM »
It wouldn't be for CFOA to look at that as they have nothing to do with ARFFS. It would be for your airport SAFO, or HR, to determine whether an ex-LA person need fgo through the tests. As to National recuitment for ARFFS that will never work, you are all separate businesses. For transferring, though, you have NOS in CAP699 and the forthcoming AWM units for management.
My posts reflect my personal views and beliefs and not those of my employer. If I offend anyone it is usually unintentional, please be kind. If it is intentional I guess it will be clear!

Offline spartan25

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 06:52:17 PM »
For transferring, though, you have NOS in CAP699 and the forthcoming AWM units for management......

Can you explain a bit more what this

Thanks

Offline fireftrm

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 07:27:10 AM »
Yes NOS is National Occupational Standard (actually the NOS for the ARFFS is the Ff Ops in Community) CAP699 is CAA version of NOS specific for ARFFS (latest version is mapped to NOS Ff Ops). AWM is Airport Watch Manager within CP699, directly mapped (well OK is a simple rewrite of) NOS for WM, units 1 to 6 are exactly as NOS, unit 7 is NOS unit 8. WM7 is in CAP699 for Ff and is AFf7

Offline spartan25

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 10:53:46 AM »
Cheers for that Fireftrm.......