Author Topic: Bankruptcy within fire brigade  (Read 14913 times)

Offline jonny23

Bankruptcy within fire brigade
« on: November 24, 2008, 10:08:20 PM »
Hi there.

Im just wondering if anyoneon here can help me with a question i've had put to me this week.

how does being bankrupt affect wholetime firefighters and potential new recruits? i.e are there any guidelines to say you either cannot apply or there are any other effects of a fire fighter filing for bankruptcy?

There are many job roles where the having bakruptcy against your name can affect your application/position.

I'd appreciate any help or info you can give.

Thanks
Jonny

Offline nearlythere

Re: Bankruptcy within fire brigade
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 10:45:04 AM »
Hi there.

Im just wondering if anyoneon here can help me with a question i've had put to me this week.

how does being bankrupt affect wholetime firefighters and potential new recruits? i.e are there any guidelines to say you either cannot apply or there are any other effects of a fire fighter filing for bankruptcy?

There are many job roles where the having bakruptcy against your name can affect your application/position.

I'd appreciate any help or info you can give.

Thanks
Jonny
Is bankruptcy a criminal offence?
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline jonny23

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 03:42:54 PM »
Hi,

No I wouldnt of thought that it was a criminal offence, however I know that having a bankruptcy against your name etc can actually stop you gaining employment in certain sectors and that in many companies credit checks are completed prior to job offers.

my question really is to ask what stance the fire service takes on new recruits who have bankruptcy against their name and on what stance it would take on an active employee in the service who filed for bankruptcy?

Chris Houston

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 10:18:31 PM »
Can't answer the question, but can confirm that in the financial services industry a dim view of taken of people who have been bankrupt.  I'm not sure if this is because it suggests poor fiscal skills, or if it is becuase they think you are more liable to comitt fraud as you are skint.

Offline Benzerari

• http://benzerari.tripod.com/fas/
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 06:32:24 PM »
Quite similar scenario, happened to a friend of friend of mine an electrician, he has been banned from approaching any building electric work, due to fighting and dispute which had happened one day but totally out side the job, it was in fact a domestic matter, but the jury decided that he must be banned from work for 4 years, after which he can have first security clearance, then he can join back the job...

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 08:44:52 AM »
Quite similar scenario, happened to a friend of friend of mine an electrician, he has been banned from approaching any building electric work, due to fighting and dispute which had happened one day but totally out side the job, it was in fact a domestic matter, but the jury decided that he must be banned from work for 4 years, after which he can have first security clearance, then he can join back the job...

I wonder who he thumped? and why? ;D

Offline Benzerari

• http://benzerari.tripod.com/fas/
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 12:33:04 PM »

I wonder who he thumped? and why? ;D

High class !

Offline Kaiser

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 09:37:20 PM »
in my brigade we have a station manager that assists the chief fire officer who went bankrupt a while ago, it hasn't done him any harm.
Malo Mori Quam Foed Ari

Offline Harry Hill

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 10:14:00 PM »
Hi all, just joined the forum and saw this thread and thought i'd share what i know.
I'm in a Brigade in the south of England and have got myself into a lot of debt. There's nothing dodgy or fraudulent about it, it's just a simple case of overborrowing and change of circumstances at home which has lead to not being able to cope with the repayments.
I have been in touch with the local CAB and the National Debt Helpline and they have actually advised me to file for bankruptcy. Before doing so i spoke to my Union Branch Secretary and he made some calls to see how the land lies with regards to my employment within the Brigade after it becomes public. The response was, that unless i owed the Local Authority any money (which i don't) the brigade aren't interested, and that was from a very high ranking post.
So much to my great relief i can go through it with the knowledge that my job is safe. However i'm considering a transfer and am not sure if it might affect it, i'll have to wait and see i guess.

Offline jonny23

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 03:41:22 PM »
Thanks for the post Harry.  It has helped alot!

Cheers

Offline Harry Hill

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 04:27:52 PM »
I'll keep you posted on the developments mate, i'm going to court to file for bankruptcy on the 12th Jan.

Offline Harry Hill

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 08:52:45 AM »
Well i'm now officially Bankrupt. It was very straight-forward, went to court, paid the fee and was in front of the judge for 30 seconds and that was that :o
Then a week later i had a telephone interview with the Official Receiver, who went through my Statement of Affairs form thoroughly with me, that lasted about 25-30 mins and at the end he said that all seemed fine and that was all he needed to know and he was looking to discharge me from it in 6 months time.
I was gobsmacked as to how simple it was, and not that terrifying either.

Offline jonny23

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 06:34:36 PM »
Cool...Thanks for the info Harry!

Glad everything went ok, hope all goes ok in future.

Jonny

Offline rips

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 02:19:15 PM »
I know of serving Firefighters that are bankrupt and it has made no difference to them but not sure about applying as a bankrupt but dont see it being an issue.
Any views I express are my own and not my employers. Still confused!