Author Topic: 12 month retained help  (Read 9375 times)

Offline hughesk

12 month retained help
« on: July 18, 2005, 08:33:47 PM »
can anyone help, I have my 12 month exam tomorrow and wondered if anyone has an idea of the kinda stuff to expect. Anyone taken it recently?

I have studied communications,BA Entry control, a bit of sector command and some about chimney fires.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Offline dave bev

12 month retained help
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 09:37:23 PM »
tomorrow!

can i offer advice that youve known for tweleve months and perhaps could have been better prepared?

best wishes anyway

dave bev

Offline hughesk

12 month retained help
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005, 09:39:50 PM »
thanks for the no help. Well when you work in the day and have limited time to revise its sometimes hard, and I have only known for a month about test. I cant access intranet at station as username is not working, and the list you get given to learn is the wrong one doesnt help. Oh well, Im sure I will be fine. I know most stuff but needed some other helpmaybe

How many spans of control can you have, I thought 5?

in your own words define risk and hazrd seperately

Chris Houston

12 month retained help
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 12:45:53 AM »
Risk, as defined by ISO/IEC Guide 73, is the combination of the probability of an event and it's consequences.  I would say risk = probability x consequences.

A hazard is something with the protential to cause harm.

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
12 month retained help
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 12:48:34 AM »
Hazard is something with the potential to cause harm. Risk is a combination of the probability that the harmful event will occur and the consequences if it does occur. Davey, Beverley beverley must find you really helpful when she brings her maths homework the night b4 it is due to be handed in.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Offline dave bev

12 month retained help
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 09:25:06 AM »
the twelve month tests are really that - twelve month tests. although the date of the test may not be known in advance the fact that twelve month tests are held sometime after twelve months really should give some sort of advance notification?

ok - lack of support from the brigade in terms of intranet and wrong info - at your stage you probably dont wont to be seen as 'rocking the boat' and i understand that - perhaps a 'phone call' to the brigade sec may help or help via the fbu retained section (email addy from head office web site - i am making a massive assumption you are in the fbi? if not just look at the help you could be getting if you were!)

span of control - i assume you arreferring to ics - its a daft question to be asking someone at your position - answer depends on your brigades intepretation/acceptance of ics but five is the norm (unless told otherwise now!) (think of the five fingers on one hand - little analagy there might help you)

risk as explained above is pretty good  - probability of something happening and the consequences arising.

good luck.

mr todd - beverley (squared) gave up on me years ago - because yes i gave her very much the same answer - its a bit late now when the work is due tomorrow. it also helps if i actually knew what the concerns re lack of knowledge were. we all try to help - its just nice to know what the concern are so we can point in the right (or should that be LEFT, direction)

mr helpful (most times!)

Offline hughesk

12 month retained help
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005, 11:52:28 AM »
Cheers for all this guys/ladies if any.

Been superb thank you so much. This site is tremendous. Would highly recommend to all personnel.

:O)

Offline fireftrm

12 month retained help
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2005, 05:51:17 PM »
I would go along with Dave Bev, there is a need to be somehwat better prepared but we are always happy to help if we can. I use the hand to teach the ICS 5 span of control and was doing just that in an ICS Q&A session last night at one of my retained stations. It isn't important for the Ffs to know, a nice to know. They are expected to underatnd all the surcoat colours and what the roles will be doing at the incident, only having to demonstrate competence in the Command Support role at Ff level.

I would expect my Ffs (after 12 months) to be able to demonstrate pratical skills in ladders, basic knots/lines, pumps, hose, BA, BAECO, hazmats and decontam, RTC, casualty care, comms, command support and the use/location of every piece of equipment carried on their appliance/at their station. I would expect good knowledge of operational procedures and service policies pertaining to them (such as sickness, pay). I would expect some technical knowledge, but information such as the tirfor you ask elsewhere, is not relevant as long as they know how to operate it and safety matters. After all can you tell me how much that car you are going to pull weighs? You should know how to use it, how to test it, what it can do (pull/lift), what its limitations are (it will shear the safety pins if too much weight is attempted) and what saferty precautions you would apply when using it. I would be asking very generic questions whilst observing the practical skill demonstration to check understanding and not a sit down interview. Hopefully that is the way yours goes, but to emphasies Dave's point the day befor eis a tad late to think about it!

Anyway all the best and please ask for any help you want on here, or again as Dave says from the rep body. We do try and be helpful but help us too by giving warning!

I also think that your FRS should be doing something more to support you rather than having to rely on us, what is your Station /Group Manager [or StnO/ADO/DO in old money], not to mention your own WM [SubO] doing? I go out of my way to develop  my staff and hope to be available to support ham, if they wrre in this situation I am sure they would have no hesistation in contacting me personally.

SM with 6 retained stations I am responsible for, presently T/GM district strategic manager but oversee the T/SM and a SM Fire safety so I do speak with experience
My posts reflect my personal views and beliefs and not those of my employer. If I offend anyone it is usually unintentional, please be kind. If it is intentional I guess it will be clear!

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
12 month retained help
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2005, 06:02:37 PM »
I won't need to know all thiswhen I become a Chief Officer will I??????
:(
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Offline dave bev

12 month retained help
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2005, 07:00:51 PM »
obviously not comrade toddski!

your knowledge and skills would be put to good use though i can assure you!

seems like i was right about somethings then - nice to know isnt it - or is that a need to know? seriously i hope all went well?

dave bev