Author Topic: Airport Fire fighter  (Read 110331 times)

Offline gonzofire

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2008, 03:19:13 PM »
Hi, I've passed my written for BAA and the next stage is the group discussion, can anyone tell me what this is about, how long it lasts and what are they looking for?

Many thanks for your help.

Offline Darren Burley

• http://www.sarffs.co.uk
Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2008, 03:50:53 PM »
I went up for the BAA assessments on Wed 21st @ 1300, failed on the maths, even though already on fire crew at Cat 2 airport for last 3 years & would like to move into BAA, it seems the same situation as L/A, apply & sit the exams. Even though already got 90 per cent of qualifications required that a BAA Ff requires (apart from NVQ L3), even attended Serco training centre @ Teeside to do the 6 week course, but that doesn't count for anything.

Offline gonzofire

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2008, 04:37:18 PM »
Hi daz71,
Can understand how you feel, its a bit like being retained and not getting into whole-time but all you can do is keep on trying, hope you have better luck next time. At least you have got a job to go back to at the end of the day {;0)

Offline carefree

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2008, 07:49:05 PM »
Well done gonzofire, although keep focused as there is a heck of a long way to go yet.  Dont forget you still have another two tests to ge before you've even been interviewed and the interview is where it counts.

Offline Darren Burley

• http://www.sarffs.co.uk
Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2008, 08:32:42 PM »
Hello Gonzofire

trouble is there's only a certain amount of times you wanna keep on trying before you get sick of trying.

Offline gonzofire

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2008, 10:17:28 PM »
Hi carefree, thanks for that I know I'm on a long road, just hope I pass all of the stages.

daz71, Keep trying, I know how you feel, I went for London fire brigade four times and got to the interview stage on each one but did'nt get in, then I joined my local retained station where I have been for about four years and still find it great (love every Min. of it), have applied for whole-time with the brigade I'm retained with and have been turned down three times, once on application, once on written, then last year I was turned down on my interview.
Well all I'm saying is, that if you really want to be a fire fighter then keep trying, you will get there in the end dont give up.

Offline sheppardnjs

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2008, 09:34:43 AM »
How did you get on Yorkie?

Offline yorkie

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2008, 05:40:50 PM »
no good, failed the maths. maybe next time hey!

Offline sheppardnjs

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2008, 08:43:36 AM »
Sorry to hear that mate!

Just gotta keep on trying mate, good luck for next time.

Offline gonzofire

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2008, 03:38:06 PM »
Hi, Just got a text from BAA today asking me to book a day and time to go to Pease Pottage and do my group exercise, can anyone give me some info about it, what are they looking for in the exercise, your help would be much appreciated.

Offline careym

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2008, 01:14:22 PM »
From what I remember from 2 years ago, you sit in a group of six and put in order a list of statements about team work. It will range from most important to least important and 2 assessors will watch and monitor how you work in a team.

Hope this helps

Offline gonzofire

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2008, 04:13:03 PM »
HI careym,
Thanks for the info, what airport are you at?

Offline airfield17

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2008, 05:20:09 PM »
PQA's. Its what they want to hear. 'Buzzwords'!! Read up on the PQA's. Be vocal. Have an opinion on things. If I can recall correctly it was about putting the qualities of a good team member in order of importance. I got through this stage and the next one, Bleep test, but failed the PQA interview. Best of luck to you.

Offline Fireguy1230

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2008, 07:00:17 PM »
Remember tho, its not the firefighter PQA's that form part of the National Firefighter Recruitment! They relate to local authority fire and rescue service applicants only.

Its the job specific competencies for the BAA firefighter role that are detailed in your application pack.

Offline gonzofire

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2008, 10:23:52 PM »
Hi airfield17 and Fireguy1230,

Thanks for your help and I'll keep in mind what you say and what to read up on, thanks for all your help again.