Author Topic: Factual Errors in the Guides  (Read 7654 times)

Offline John Webb

Factual Errors in the Guides
« on: June 08, 2006, 11:19:28 AM »
I would like to open up this topic with a comment on Guide 7 'Large Places of Assembly'

On page 62, talking about sprinkler systems, it says:
"... A stock of spare bolds should be available..."

I presume they meant to say "spare bulbs", but of course it should really have been "spare heads"!

Any other glitches you've spotted?
John Webb
Consultant on Fire Safety, Diocese of St Albans
(Views expressed are my own)

fred

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 02:25:27 PM »
Not really an error - but I do like this piece in the Educational Premises guide

Foam extinguishers (cream)
This type of extinguisher can be used on
Class A or B fires and is particularly suited
to extinguishing liquid fires such as petrol
and diesel.

The headteachers will be most enlightened ... and Class C are probably studying Physics  !

Offline Ashley Wood

• http://www.thermatech.uk.com
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 06:46:02 PM »
I agree John, I think this is an error. To hold spare glass bulbs would be of no use to anyone. The correct terminology should read 'to hold spare replacement nozzle heads." What happens if the sprinkler system is an 'open" type system rather than a "wet" bulb activated type? The 'open nozzle head type does not have bulbs!

Perhaps I am being picky but so what, that's my job... : - )

Offline John Webb

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 08:33:04 PM »
I no longer have access to the sprinkler BS/LPC Rules, but I recall they said something along the lines of:
"X spare sprinkler heads appropriate for the installation shall be kept for replacing heads which have been operated...."
I think this covers every eventuality and would have been easy to include in the Guide in some way.
It is interesting to note the greater detail that these Guides go into compared to 'Fire Safety - an employer's guide' which just refers people onto the BS/LPC Rules.
John Webb
Consultant on Fire Safety, Diocese of St Albans
(Views expressed are my own)