Author Topic: fire alarms  (Read 19178 times)

fire alarms
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2003, 08:09:59 PM »
Look at one of the solutions already mentioned. Detectors in shops linked to sounders in common areas of flats (these can even be programmed to operate at certain times) and normal arrangements for the flats. So people only get disturbed when the shops on fire!

Offline potter 2

fire alarms
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2003, 09:15:41 AM »
would you adam and eve it...had a fire in the shops on sunday night,,at present they are empty prior to the refurb..the existing alarm is interlinked and a detector operated and all the flats evacuated safely..Looking  at the fire spread the flames from the shop affected the windows directly above (as one could have expected )  The proposed 1hour compartment would obviously not included the front face.so it is feasible that it could occur again and so i will now be stressing ,more forcibly, that some sharing of signals is a must.

Offline Ken Taylor

fire alarms
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2003, 10:47:12 AM »
You'd better not ask too many questions on here Potter 2 or you could seriously affect the fire statistics. I used to be involved with planning scenarios for first aid competitions some years ago and found the actual incident would occur shortly after. I no longer do this. Many years ago, I did attend a fire in a shop basement with offices and then flats above - all with common stair access. Smoke got everywhere but the sounders to the corridors at each level and externally did the job and, fortunately, in this instance there was also an external fire escape stair.