Author Topic: INDUSTRIAL FIRE TEAMS  (Read 110653 times)

Offline The Colonel

INDUSTRIAL FIRE TEAMS
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2005, 09:42:38 AM »
The BT crew at Madley in Herefordshire were discontinued a number of years ago as part of BT's cost cutting, not sure if thier other site is still going

Offline Jag

INDUSTRIAL FIRE TEAMS
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2006, 12:56:53 PM »
Hi to all those remaining industrial FireFighters.

Having read some of your messages we thought we would add a peice about ourselves.
Jaguar Cars and Landrover under Ford both have full time Industrial Fire Departments providing Fire and Ambulance service on site
Jaguar Cars has 12 men per site on a alternating shift pattern with 4 men per crew days and 3 men per crew nights 24/7 365 days a year.
These comprise of crews at Castle Bromwich Birmingham 1 pump, 1 Ambulance, 1 ISU (incident support unit).
Browns Lane Coventry 1 Pump and 1 Ambulance
Whitley Coventry 1 pump and 1 Ambulance.
Landrover has 4 watches with 5 men per watch on 3 day 3 night basis providing cover at Solihul Birmingham 1 pump 1 Ambulance
Gaydon 1 Pump and 1 Ambulance.
Ford has various of their sites dotted around the UK with Fire Departments either full time crews or employees taken from there normal working duties to attend incidents.
Here at Jaguar Cars Castle Bromwich like most industrial site we have men who currently service as retained, ex brigade and others who have worked through the ranks within the company.
All of the sites invite the local Brigades to use our facilities for training purpose. We have regular training with West Midland Ambulance Service. Who provide our training in Pre Hospital Trauma Care course. Basic Fire and BA training is proved by Warwickshire Fire Service and most of the crew through Morton College have gained their NVQ 3 Fire Fighting award.
Before the dimise of the Industrial Fire services with large companies shutting down Jaguar Fire Department were regular attenders and winners of most competitions held up and down the country for the industrial and retained fire services.
Hope this gives you a small insite to those of us that are left and any others that maybe interested. If your interested in more details please let us know by forum

Cheers from the Jag

Offline Tractorman9

INDUSTRIAL FIRE TEAMS
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2006, 10:59:05 AM »
Great info from Jag the man !!  Very interesting about Landrover and Ford etc - is there anything on the web either offically or something the crews have put together privately ?

To my knowledge you are the first I have found in private industry to post on the wewb other than military or airfield/oil industry.

There can't be many 'full time/professional' private crews out there in industry as most companies that retain crews do so on a 'taken from the factory floor' basis.

Info found so far on the web FOR FULL TIME INDUSTRIAL crews -

AWE - ALDERMARSTON

UKAEA / BNFL  - DOUNREY, SELLAFIELD AND OTHER UKAEA SITES

TEESSIDE EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAMS - SHARE RESOURCE FOR VARIOUS PETRO SITES ON TEESSIDE (they won't release much info on the web)

ICI Paints - Slough
Astra Zeneca - Huddersfield - not sure about other UK Locations
BASF - Teesside

Any more out there ?

Offline Paul

INDUSTRIAL FIRE TEAMS
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2006, 08:20:30 PM »
Other Uk AstraZeneca Sites run a Fire Auxiliary system, where you say, are taken from Chemical Process plants.  However they are managed by a full time crew of Incident Managers.

Not all sites in the uk have a fire crew, only those with a Chemical Process facility.  Specifically, Macclesfield in Cheshire and Avlon down in Bristol area.
Also don't think Huddersfield is AstraZeneca and more, think that went over to their Agrochemical group which I think is handled by Aventis??

Full of useful info I am.

Offline AnthonyB

• Firenet Extinguisher Expert
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.firewizard.co.uk
INDUSTRIAL FIRE TEAMS
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2006, 10:14:01 PM »
The site has been renamed, it isn't Zeneca anymore, I believe it is indeed aventis.

They had (when I was on site a couple of years ago for a demolition contractor) a three bay station and had a high roof transit (presumably for maintenance as they service everything from extinguishers upwards themselves) and a Foam tender. they also have a site ambulance.

Although the core crew appeared full time (i.e. not production staff) they seemed to have other duties - I often found them acting as gatehouse security when entering site
Anthony Buck
Owner & Fire Safety Consultant at Fire Wizard

Extinguisher/Fire History Enthusiast

Fire Extinguisher Facebook Group:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=65...415&ref=ts
http://www.youtube.com/user/contactacb
https://uk.linkedin.com/in/anthony-buck-36

Offline Nathan

INDUSTRIAL FIRE TEAMS
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2006, 04:49:14 PM »
The Corus Steelworks in S****horpe have got some emergency teams. Not sure whether they are full time or whether they act on alerter. I have heard that they use a couple of Green Goddess fire appliances and they also have a at least one Ford Transit High Roof Ambulance.
Keep Believing

Iron 4 Ever

Offline Game on

INDUSTRIAL FIRE TEAMS
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2006, 10:26:33 PM »
Pfizer pharmecutical company in Sandwich, Kent have a fire department.
They have a couple of full time officers per shift (7-7) with the rest of the crew made up from workers across the site if there is a call. Most of them are retained FF's in the county.
They operate a fire tender (pump) and a RIV.

Offline firefighterblue112

INDUSTRIAL FIRE TEAMS
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2006, 01:52:19 PM »
I AM NEW TO THIS FORUM. I AM EXTREMELY INTERESTED IN INDUSTRIAL FIREFIGHTING AND WAS WONDERING IF ANY OF YOU GUYS COULD GIVE ME SOME ADVICE ON HOW TO GET INTO THE BUSINESS, i.e. TRAINING COURSES, ENTRY REQUIREMENTS, PRIVATE FIRE BRIGADES, ETC.
P.S. ESPECIALLY ANY INFO FOR MIDLANDS, STAFFORDSHIRE, CHESHIRE AREAS OF THE COUNTRY. THANKS.

Offline herdewyke

INDUSTRIAL FIRE TEAMS
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2006, 07:20:53 PM »
I've been an industrial fire fighter for approx 18 years. In that time my company has always recruited into the section from its existing workforce. Those getting the job normally have some sort of fire background either with the company as part of its emergency response team, employees who are Retained or employees with past experience, WDS, MoD etc. My employer likes personnel to be already trained and familiar with the site and its hazards.
On goiing training is always an uphill struggle as you are seen as a necessity rather thah an assett. Probably cos you're non profit making. But it is a good job hence still doing it after all this time.
Most of my colleagues are also Retained, so in a way getting the best of both worlds.
Obviously cant speak for all industrail Fire Depts. but I hope this is of some help.

Offline Mike Buckley

INDUSTRIAL FIRE TEAMS
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2006, 04:46:08 PM »
Some of the Security Companies provide fire teams for various sites. The usual situation will be that you will be part of the security team and also provide fire cover for a site.

Once you are on a site you will tend to stay there even if the security company changes. The normal situation is if you are working for ABC Security and they lose the contract you will find that a smartly dressed person will come on site and say "I'm from XYZ Security would you like to work for us."

If you are taken on for fire fighting duties the Security Company will normally provide the training you need, although whether they pay you whilst you are being trainied is a different matter.

The major problem with security companies is they will try to use as lower manning as possible. So that a fire tender with BA will only be manned by 3 people and they may well be manning an ambulance as well.
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to those who think they've found it.

Offline firefighterblue112

INDUSTRIAL FIRE TEAMS
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2006, 07:01:26 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.

Herdewyke, can you tell me who you currently work for as an industrial firefighter ?

I am also looking for specific industrial firefighter training, with the outcome being a recognised qualification, with the hope of getting me started in the career. Any you guys know of any organisations that provide such traing ?

Offline herdewyke

INDUSTRIAL FIRE TEAMS
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2006, 02:32:13 PM »
Firefighterblue

An American company called PPG Industries.
I believe a group called JOIFF deliver Industrial training with some form of recognised certification. Our Safety Mgr visited them a couple of times and brought back info on courses that they offered, but this was 5 - 6 years ago. At the time they did alot of talking I wasn't that impressed (I'm going to get it in the neck now!) maybe they've got their act together now.
Like many Industrial fire depts we've suffered cut backs, going from fifteen personnel down to just six. You couldn't join a company fire dept like mine without prior training as there would be no one to give you on the job training. Each one of us works on our own until the Alarm goes in, then you respond with the Fire appliance and are met by your crew at the incident. You are the OIC.
When not attending incidents lots of Safety work, Maintenance, delivering Safety training, Safety tours and Audits etc. There is a long list of areas that you have to be qualified in almost from the start of your employment.

Personally I would say if you are a young chap, look to either joining the Whole time fire service, DFS or an Airport fire service. Get some decent training and qualifications behind you from them.
Maybe there's someone else here who could advise you better, I dont know anything about security companies as mention by Mike.

Good luck.

Offline Mr. P

INDUSTRIAL FIRE TEAMS
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2006, 08:42:44 AM »
Fire Training- many links on this website.  Most will tailor training for you when you give them requirements.  Try hitting some the search engines with 'fire training'

Offline Paul Frankland

INDUSTRIAL FIRE TEAMS
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2006, 03:15:23 PM »
If anyone wishes to question the capability, competence or equipment of industrial fire teams then they are welcome to visit the Wilton International site on Teesside owned by SembCorp Utilities.  
You will be surprised by the equipment in use and the competencies of the team.
Well worth a visit.
www.sembprotection.com

Offline herdewyke

INDUSTRIAL FIRE TEAMS
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2006, 09:22:05 PM »
The question on competency of Industrial fire depts was posed over a year ago, but thanks for e mailing me.

I'd agree that there are plenty of training providers out there, but it doesn't mean every Industrial fire fighter will have received great training. My own company have a very good fire fighting school in America, but none of the fire fighters on my site have ever been there, or ever will. Without investment in their fire depts Companies could see there capabilities etc questioned.

So. Capabilities, Equipment and Competency of Industrial fire fighters will vary, with some trying hard to update their knowledge and Undersatnding continually and those who are just there for the pay. No different to any other employment really.

Glad to hear that things have moved on for you.