Author Topic: LPG Bulk Storage  (Read 9071 times)

Offline Fil Rabey

LPG Bulk Storage
« on: February 17, 2007, 05:32:14 PM »
Heres one for you, can anyone advise of information on evacuation distances, when dealing with an ignited leak on a moderate lpg bulk tank (33tonnes), both for public safety and firefighting operations.

looked in my own brigades info and hse, but no luck yet.
The views expressed are my own and not necessarily that of my Employer.

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
LPG Bulk Storage
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 07:45:56 PM »
Try a google search on BLEVE (boiling liquid expanding vapour explosion) theres a whole wealth of info available. If you cant find the answer you need come back to us.

Offline Fil Rabey

LPG Bulk Storage
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 07:59:56 AM »
Thanks, I took a glance at bleve but I'll give it another go. I found some disturbing data relating to firefighter fatalities from Amereica. Most sites simply state 'a safe distance'. I'll come back as you suggested if I have no luck with google.

Offline steve walker

LPG Bulk Storage
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 11:37:35 AM »
Found some interesting stuff at:

http://www.lincoln.ne.gov/city/fire/train/lessons/trimester/propane.pdf (evacuation radius - 5000ft.)
The views expressed in this forum are personal and not necessarily those of my employer.

Offline Fil Rabey

LPG Bulk Storage
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 01:50:26 PM »
Thanks Steve, any incident involving lpg will certainly focus the mind!

messy

LPG Bulk Storage
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 03:21:27 PM »
Bulk storage obviously presents major risks to all, but fires involving bulk cylinder storage are often considered less of a problem. Don't believe a word. I attended a fire in a cylinder depot some years back where 50+ LPG cylinders exploded in an urban environment, (with fairly substantial surrounding cover available) with cylinders landing 300+metres away and cylinder parts landing even further.

Consider that the routine exclusion zone for acetylene is set at 200m radius, the LPG 'missiles' beat that by some margin. Bent metal pick up tubes from within forklift truck cylinders (to enable cylinders to be used laying on their side) were reportedly found 500m away, with others being located by helicopter on the fourth floor roof of a School 150m away

Offline kurnal

LPG Bulk Storage
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 04:47:05 PM »
Yes theres a wealth of experience and some good video footage-bleve safe distance brings up a good range.

Theres a lot of issues here and no real definitive guidance on safe distances- I used to work to the standard 300 and 600 m distances - 300 for inner cordon, 600 for outer cordon but that was based on the traditional wisdom and training packages produced by the old HOUEM at Moreton - the same one that said you were more at risk in line with a vessel than at the side of it. We learned from tragedy that you are at risk anywhere.
If there is a gas cloud and no fire then recommended distances are in proportion to the volume of gas in thecloud- up to 1250metres if I recall.

Offline kurnal

LPG Bulk Storage
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 05:40:33 PM »

Offline Fil Rabey

LPG Bulk Storage
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 09:27:32 AM »
Thankyou to all that posted, informative advice that helped me out. Thanks again.