Author Topic: Risk Assessment Part 2  (Read 3683 times)

Offline Risk Surveyor

Risk Assessment Part 2
« on: August 12, 2004, 07:10:47 AM »
It occurred to me that if I make suggestions on this forum it might make my life easier when I am at work.. So my suggestion would be for all of you that need to get this formal risk assessment under way for the Reforms of Fire Safety Legislation...DO NOT WAIT FOR ME TO ARRIVE BEFORE YOU GET STARTED.... My professional liability will always be covered by specifying much greater active and passive fire protection in the absence of good Fire Safety management. I will endeavour to compensate lack of people management...Prevention by believing the likely hood must be greater so I then deal with detection,suppression , confinement and obviously escape with greater emphasis. If the Management of Fire safety is excellent then the likely hood of occurrence is less then adequate provision for building components is sufficient. It pains me to make expensive recommendations for the sake of a few simple formally audited disciplines. Split the business into small assessment areas..The person in Control of the staff in that area is responsible by legislation to Manage Fire safety like any other part of the business for which they are responsible.  My experience tells me the majority of line managers do not see it that way at all... What do I do.....write non compliant requires action...Major cost implication.

Offline logan_lewis

Risk Assessment Part 2
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 01:40:23 PM »
In requiring expensive measures, confidence needs to be maintained that it is not overkill - what is the objective, to save lives or property or both and what is good management? (Rhetorical).  For the risk based system to succeed a sense of proportionality needs to be maintained.  Key will be clear communication of aims, objectives, measures and procedures/processes.

BS5588-Pt12, dealing with fire safety management, may be out soon along, no doubt, with guidance from all corners of the industry on fire risk assessments in anticipation of the proposed "Fire Safety Order".

Real chance that less clarity will prevail rather than more, unless there is a suite of authoritative guides.

Risk Assessment Part 2
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 06:48:20 AM »
You are quite right everything is proportional to the risk..risk appropriate..The risk to life, the risk to property,the risk to loss of tangible and intangible assets, the loss of intellectual property,the loss of profit, etc etc....I know the risk of loss can be managed by good prevention measures that can be demonstrated,documented and maintained but failure to show this basic requirement will obviously increase the likelyhood of an occurrence and therefore require more active fire protection..hardware. This brings back exactly the proportionality or equalibrium you describe. The only thing that is different is the cost.