Author Topic: Individual Fire Risk Assessments for Service Users in Nursing Care  (Read 17508 times)

Offline Geoff

Just a quick question to those who work in the Nursing Care side of things.  Have any of you come across CSCI asking for FRAs for all Service Users in a scheme?  They have just started this with my lot and they are all now panicking as potentially they have to risk assess about 1500 Service Users!

Also being very cheeky has anyone got a proforma they have designed for the process as if there is something I can adapt then I'll save a bit of time!  Just got back off of some leave and everything went to r*****t whilst I was off, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Midland Retty

Individual Fire Risk Assessments for Service Users in Nursing Care
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 11:50:56 AM »
Hi Geoff

Cant help with a pro forma , but just to pass on soemthing which may be of interest.

The fire authority I work for now expects to see individual FRAs for service users in any post fire investigation. This follows a near fatal fire where a service user set fire to his belongings.

The care home had not risk assessed the individual despite being told he had a history of arson.

There were no regular checks performed on the person top ensure he wasn't concealing any ignition or substantial fuel sources, and the indivduals room had not been assessed to minimise any potential risk. (ie kept sterile as possible, all bedding fire retardant, minimum storage etc etc)

SO yep its definately worth putting individual risk assessments in place to cover yourselves

Offline Geoff

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 01:10:39 PM »
Midland Retty,

Many thanks for that, I hadn't taken the view as far as that but with the number of Supported Housing schemes I've got with people with mental health issues in them I'm going to have to put it in place there as well!

Midland Retty

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 02:14:30 PM »
Hiya Geoff

Depends how far you want to take it really, I would suggest that individual assessments are a definate must in homes where service users have behavioural problems or mental impairments possibly...

More "low risk" service users should still be assessed regarding their over all needs but perhaps not quite as in depth to include their potential affect on starting or aiding a fire on the premises.

In simple terms it would be reasonable to expect yourselves to risk assess anyone you know to have a particular behavioural pattern relating to arson or self harm.

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 02:24:27 PM »
Nothing like a knee jerk reaction of course.

Is this something more appropriate for the care plan and perhaps the Personal emergency evacuation plan rather than a fire risk assessment under the RRO?

The RRO is enforced by the fire authority only. Nowt to do with CSCI apart from a tick in the management box for Care Standard 5 (IIRC) Health and Safety.
If the Fire Authority are asking for a risk assessment for a person then under which article are they requiring it?  They had better rewrite the RRO fast.

Midland Retty

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 03:33:31 PM »
Hiya Kurnal...

Whilst CSCI dont enforce fire safety standards they still expect to see it has been considered as evidence of an effectively run responsible organisation.

What would we require the assessments under? Well :-

Article8(1) (a)(b) Article 9(1) Article 11(1) and Poss 11(2) art 14 if escape routes were threatened but to name a few

Offline kurnal

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 10:05:15 PM »
Yes but should this amount to an individual fre risk assessment on a service user? I dont think so under the terms of the Fire Safety Order. I think the Order would be more likely to expect a management procedure to be in place to identify an individuals special needs and characteristics through the care plan as a safeguard to others. This would then cover any confidentiality issues. If we had a fire risk assessment on an individual- lets say someone who who had a conviction for arson- is it rightly a matter for a document that is effectively in the public domain?

Offline Nearlybaldandgrey

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 06:30:59 PM »
I have never heard of an individual fire risk assessment although I have seen some risk assessments for service users with specific needs or who are considered to be a risk.

The requirement of the Care Standards Act is to comply with relevant fire safety legislation, which is of course part of registration.

Offline AFD

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 08:52:22 PM »
The risk assessment relates to the risk and dependency of the residents, e.g. therefore if all ambulant etc.  different, to all high dependency where they will need additional measures, and if a mix then each resident will/may need different precautions which must be documented.  

The details and precautions may be documented as part of the risk assessment or on anindividual care plan ( and/or PEEP) that must be refered to in the risk assessment. On what document it is written, is down to choice, as long as it forms part of the risk assessment package.

How can we risk assess without taking into consideration 'who is at risk and how' and the precautions taken ?

probably wont fit a tick box system !

Offline devon4ever

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 04:02:29 AM »
I agree with Kurnel, how can a FRA take account of individual persons, this is best left to the management of the care home or similar. Possible trap here, when the FRA was conducted the resident in room 13 didn't smoke, 6 months later he sadly dies and the new resident does smoke, does this warrant a new FRA at cost to the care home - yeah bring it on, I feel a 6 bed detached des-res coming my way!
(The Stig is my next door neighbour!)

messy

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2007, 10:53:15 AM »
I also agree with Kurnal's view that 'fire risk' should be covered during an individual's care plan assessment which is generally undertaken by medical staff.

Most medical professionals I have dealt with would be quick to argue that there is a human rights issue here as this information is personal and confidential and as such should only be recorded in medical notes rather than publically available records such as an FRA.

However the human rights issue seems to also be used as a get-out clause for many health professionals. I dealt with a Mental Health Trust who, when confronted by my findings of a patient hoarding 300+ family-size boxes of matches in her wardrobe, said that they were powerless to intervene.

They argued that the type of 'Section' she was on and the human rights of the patient, stopped staff regularly searching her room and carrying out a personal search of the patient when she got back from the shops (from topping up her bulk supply of matches). They also refused to consider adding a 'fire safety' element to their patient care plan assessments as it was not Trust Policy.

Gobsmacked at their attitude, I (unofficially) removed/stole several carrier bags of matches from her room and took them home as she was likey to retrieve them from the unit's bins.

This was before RR(FS)O and PEEPs, so hopefully things may have moved on by now!

Offline kurnal

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2007, 11:09:30 AM »
Sounds like you may have moved the hazard to your own place messy.

It reminds me how in 1984 in preparation for a fire station audit I took home a 25 litre plastic drum from the fire station I was managing - the drum contained a mix of petrol, oil and all sorts of nasties that one of the watches had collected for fire training and stored in a foam compound drum.
Guess what- that drum is still in my garage at home 23 years later!!

Offline Geoff

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 09:53:22 AM »
I'm going to sit on the fence here and agree with all of you! Lol!

I thank you all for your comments and I will take them all on board whilst I try and sort this mess out!

Guess I was being cheeky when I asked if anyone had a proforma to help with this!  Well will have to go and design my own, but if there is anyone out there in the nursing care field who has something I would still be very greatful for anythin gtha turns up! Lol!

Many thanks as always.

Offline kurnal

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 10:23:23 AM »
Geoff
Rather than reinvent the wheel many fire brigades do counselling courses for people who either have a fascination with fire or who have offended. It may well be that this dovetails into your work and could cover some of the issues? If you email or phone me I will give you details of one of the volunteers involved in this wrk.

Midland Retty

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2007, 10:51:42 AM »
Quote from: messy
I also agree with Kurnal's view that 'fire risk' should be covered during an individual's care plan assessment which is generally undertaken by medical staff.

Most medical professionals I have dealt with would be quick to argue that there is a human rights issue here as this information is personal and confidential and as such should only be recorded in medical notes rather than publically available records such as an FRA.

!
Yes and no.

I think some people have misunderstood what Ive been trying to say .

Yes the implementation of individual service user risk assessments is definately a management issue - but it has to tie into the general fire risk assesment for the premises where applicable.

In order to determine the general fire precautions required for the premises you have to undertake a fire risk assessment. In a FRA you will normally consider the occupancy of a building and whether people are ambulant etc.

That would be acceptable for standard commercial premises.

Now consider institutions for the mentally impaired and the like...

You should be assessing any occupant whom might put others occupants/staff/visitors at risk due to their condition etc.

That means a GENERAL RISK ASSESSMENT OF THE INDIVIDUAL should be undertaken which must then feed into the fire risk assessment if required.

Im not asking you to Name Names on the fire risk assesment.

It isnt a fire risk assesment of the individual but its results or findings may highlight additional safety concerns that need to be addressed.

Are you telling me service users aren't assessed for say violent tendencies.

If a member of staff is seriously hurt because a service user knifed them would you stand up in court and say " Sorry we did assess that MR BLOGGS was violent but because of patient confidentiality we couldnt actually tell our staff that he was violent"

This issue is and should be part of your FRA. WHo is going to see the FRA ? Members of the public? No of course not.

Also remember that confidentiality does not superseed safety.

If you put service users at risk through inadequate FRA and General Fire Precautions you will find yourself on the end of a serious case prosecution.

Someone mentioned that if a non smoking tenant is replaced by a smoking one the FRA has be re-done - well of course it doesn't but it should be reviewed and if any new significant findings are highlighted then fair enough. In a "normal" risk care home that won't be an issue as such. But you should still show youve considered the risk even if it ammounts to no further action required.

If however it is a service user with arsonitic tendencies then it becomes a much bigger issue and can not be ignored.

If someone has a history of arson of course they need to be assessed - the confidentiality issues attached to this are neither here or there - To prove a management failing has taken place the fire officer is legally entitled to look to see if such assessments were undertaken when gathering evidence for a prosecution or serious case offence.

And I would suggest that  (and this is simply IMHO) if such assessments weren't in place then you could find yourself in very hot water if things went to court.

Think on.