Author Topic: Who carries the can?  (Read 12768 times)

Offline nearlythere

Who carries the can?
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 11:05:43 AM »
Quote from: kodecheck
Correct me if I am wrong, but as I understand it, there is no requirement for the RP to know anything about anything to be assigned the responsibility, that being the case, how does anyone know if what they have actually got for a life safety installation is actually fit for purpose? Surely a life safety installation is about preventing the loss of life, its a bit late to discover that it doesn't quite measure up after a fatality has occured?
True kodecheck, you cannot be an expert on something you have not qualified or competant to do. I don't think it is the intention of the government that all businesses to suddenly produce experts on all aspects of Fire Safety in their ranks, as a bolt on to their normal business function. But, you certainly can ensure that you seek the best advise. If you have to install a particular system then to ask ACNE Fire Alarms in a Jiffy or Sprinkler Sytems While You Wait might lead to problems. However if you contract a professional installer who will provide the neccessary certification what else could you be expected to do? You may still be responsible if something goes wrong but you may not be liable.
How do you know that your Risk Assessor is capable of providing the professional service he/she is getting paid for?
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.