Author Topic: alarms for those with impaired hearing  (Read 8267 times)

alarms for those with impaired hearing
« on: November 26, 2003, 07:09:49 PM »
I am doing some work for a manufacturer and also some hotel chains re the provision of fire alarms for impaired hearing under the DDA.  The sticking of a notice outside a bedroom door will not be sufficient in the future I reckon, especially when the relevant parts of the Act come into effect next october so, does anyone know of a BS or other standard for such devices or any specification for such devices?

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2003, 07:11:59 PM »
Sorry I had to post the main query on this as a guest as it would not accept my user name - no secret though it is Bob Docherty

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2003, 12:45:06 PM »
Is it too simple to suggest replacing the hotel bedroom sounder with a combined sounder/xenon flasher unit?

Offline Peter Wilkinson

• http://www.thefpa.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2003, 12:54:57 PM »
Sections 17 and 18 of BS5839-1:2002 give good recommendations for the specification and application of visual alarm signals and other warning methods for people with impaired hearing.
(all the stuff I said above is purely my own personal view and in no way represents any official view of my employer)

Offline Brian Catton

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2003, 06:58:22 PM »
Flashing lights in the rooms and vibrating pagers for the guests are the answer. If using the flashing lights try to use LED lights instead of xenon. The power requirements are much less.
A company that manufactures a system called deaf alert might be able to assist. The pagers can also be used to communicate with the guests. In that way the system is constantly tested.

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2003, 03:33:37 PM »
Hi Guys thanks for the info its useful to know and I will have a look at Deaf Alert and see if they are coming up with anything. I think the 'problem' is not with what we practically need ie. flashing lights and vibrators of some sort, but how they operate in tandem with the main fire alarm system in the building.