Author Topic: RAF to airport firefighting  (Read 14641 times)

Offline lynasd

RAF to airport firefighting
« on: March 10, 2008, 01:26:10 PM »
can you transfer from being an RAF firefighter to airport fire service or do you have to go through the training again?
any information or know of webstites that can help email me lynasd@hotmail.co.uk

Offline Yeebsy

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 02:43:56 PM »
At Heathrow you would go through full basic training again followed by a year stage 2 stage 3 training. Thing is our tactics and techniques are completely different than the RAF, so you do have a lot to learn.
Isn't it funny, how if you sit in a library and scream, everyone looks at you and tuts...but do the same thing on an aircraft and everyone joins in!

Benfire

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 03:28:34 PM »
I think teeside does a 2 week bridging course for people with firefighting experience, try their website http://www.iftc.co.uk/html/calendar_09.htm  As Yeebsy said, you'd still normally have to do a 6 week firefighter initial for BAA, but you could always contact the airport you're interested in and see if they'd accept you doing the 2 week course instead.

Offline cbfire999

• www.firesafety.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 09:15:18 PM »
Yeebsy, whilst I realise that there must be some difference between civilian airports and the RAF, why do you feel that the tactics are so different?  I would be interested in your thoughts.

Offline Yeebsy

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 10:46:00 PM »
For a start we don't wear crash kit so we can't get as close as RAF, secondly what can you tell me about dual media application and when and where you would use it?,  I was RAF for 9 years and the airport FF is a different beast. Day to day stuff is is pretty much the same but can be a bit different and unlike the air force or many other civilian airfields at Heathrow we free range, the only time we speak to the tower is when we want a runway crossing. Granted our BA is the same (TB 1/97 or BAA FSS no 3). It is quite hard to pinpoint exactly what the difference is but it is. Heathrow for instance is just a mindf..... when you arrive there, you are on what they call stage 2 and 3 training, learn the layout of the airport 3000 acres, Terminals 1,2,3,4,5 and 5b (T5 can hold 50 full size football pitches, 5b alone is bigger than Edinburgh airport terminal), the cargo sheds and maintenance areas, several underground stations a couple of bus stations, you are expected to learn all this in your first year which is b......x as no one really knows the whole airport. After you have done your first year you then get your LFF modules another year goes past you get your bar up and you are then expected to do NVQ L10 L11 (don't ask as it's a waste of your time and company money). As Benfire said you could do the bridging course (they may still send you back to Teeside) but it can be pricey and you are not guaranteed a job at the end of it.  
On the whole the RAF gives you a very high standard of training and get you ready for civilian life but there is still a lot of learning once you get there. Out of curiosity where have you served?
Isn't it funny, how if you sit in a library and scream, everyone looks at you and tuts...but do the same thing on an aircraft and everyone joins in!

Offline cbfire999

• www.firesafety.org.uk
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 10:20:46 AM »
20 years RAF!  Whilst the trade takes a slagging and retention is a problem, on the whole the RAF Firefighter is one of the most professional around.  I dont say that lightly, but we underestimate our abilities hugely.  I know that first hand and from people like Yeebsy, who have left and moved on to pastures new.

Offline Yeebsy

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 01:38:23 PM »
Quote from: cbfire999
20 years RAF!  Whilst the trade takes a slagging and retention is a problem, on the whole the RAF Firefighter is one of the most professional around.
I couldn't agree more, it wasn't until I left that I realised how professional the RAF FS is.

Offline Yeebsy

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 01:42:26 PM »
20 Years? I may have met you. I've served at: Benson, Machrahanish, High Wycombe, Ascension twice and Northolt all with numerous detachments.

Offline steve-o

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 01:08:56 PM »
hi lynasd,

I just left the raf fire servicein april and had to do my caa ticket 6 weeks course you can do a bridging course at teeside its 2 weeks but it depends on your new employer they might want you to do the 6 week initial but its not hard, the course at manston was much better, how long have you been in and where are you now ?

Offline Carl

• http://www.kiafire.org.uk
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 12:09:46 AM »
Funny how you guys, still refer to it as the "RAF Fire Service and yet it has been Defence Fire Services for many years now.
Don't forget the "creeping black death" as we used to be called.- amongst other things
Civies wearing Crash Kit doing the same job, but getting more pay and better conditions - how weird is that ???

:-)

Left in 1999 after 9 years and it was VERY different then, learning about "tactics and techniques mmmf and dual media! was a whole new world for me

Offline JC100

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 08:15:19 AM »
Quote from: blazing
Funny how you guys, still refer to it as the "RAF Fire Service and yet it has been Defence Fire Services for many years now
Not true at all! I left last year and i served in the RAF Fire Service....they do still exist! The two may have merged in some areas due to various cutbacks etc, but they still wear the blue RAF uniform, and carry out all the same training as all other trades in the RAF.

The people i served with were pleased to be serving in the RAF and not the "creeping black death" even if it meant being worse off with money and working conditions (didn't stop us moaning about it though).

Offline firefightercw1

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 02:25:12 PM »
I left last year, and we (RAF) come under DFRMO standards but are still the RAF Fire and Rescue Service. alright Steve O, hope new job is going well

Offline Carl

• http://www.kiafire.org.uk
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 06:58:39 PM »
Ok fair enough chaps "RAF Fire Service" it is - my apologies, i work alongside a lot of ex RAF, so know where yar comin from.
It'll still be the "DFS" to me, but then .. i was born on the dark side.

:-)