Author Topic: Oxygen Cylinders and Hand Creams  (Read 10162 times)

Offline FireDave

Oxygen Cylinders and Hand Creams
« on: April 28, 2008, 09:38:57 AM »
Has anyone had any incidents that could confirm the issues raised by this extract from an Medical Devices Agency report.

"There is a serious risk of fire if substances such as dirt, oil, grease or hand creams contaminate connections between medical devices and medical gas cylinders. This applies to cylinders containing: oxygen, nitrous oxide, oxygen/nitrous oxide (Entonox), oxygen/carbon dioxide and oxygen/helium mixtures."
"The Medical Devices Agency (MDA) recently received two reports of fire occurring on the opening of oxygen cylinders. These fires caused burns and smoke inhalation injuries to staff.

One fire occurred between the cylinder valve and regulator seal; the other fire occurred in the regulator itself. Investigation has shown that the critical factor in both cases was the presence of contaminants such as oil, grease or hand cream."

Any comments would be appreciated

Dave

Offline John Webb

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 10:15:06 AM »
The need to ensure oxygen cylinder fittings are kept free from grease and similar contaminants has long been known in the engineering world, with which I am slightly more familiar than with health care premises. I cannot quote you any specific examples, but even in the workshop at school 45 years ago it was mentioned, although we were not allowed to handle the oxygen cylinders ourselves.

The problem is that most greases and oils contain organic compounds. These slowly oxidize with time which is why such lubricates need renewing at intervals. When oxygen is available at high pressure, the oxidation can occur with such rapidity that the grease etc spontaneously ignites. I am aware that many ointments have a base of soft white paraffin and/or liquid paraffin (I'm having to apply an ointment with such a base at the moment), both of which are organic compounds which can oxidise.
John Webb
Consultant on Fire Safety, Diocese of St Albans
(Views expressed are my own)

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 11:14:34 AM »
Oxygen being a strong oxidizer that vigorously supports combustion. Oxygen is reactive at ambient conditions, and its reactivity increases with increasing pressure, temperature, and concentration. Hydrocarbons (oils and grease) are a fuel and all that is needed now is an ignition source. This is were Adiabatic Reaction comes into the equation  but it was a long time ago when we had oxygen BA sets and memory not so good, so I will pass it on to somebody more technically aware.

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucecsej/Lab2004/adiabatic.htm
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Midland Retty

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 12:21:34 PM »
The issue of dirt and grease being a hazard on/around oxygen cylinders has been around for donkey's years.

But I wasn't aware that hand cream can pose a similar hazard , now i stop and think about I can understand why.

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 08:48:22 PM »
Quote from: John_s.webb
I am aware that many ointments have a base of soft white paraffin and/or liquid paraffin (I'm having to apply an ointment with such a base at the moment), both of which are organic compounds which can oxidise.
Well John if you share the details of your ailment with us I wager someone on this site will be able to offer you medical advice as well.  :)

Offline devon4ever

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 03:43:31 AM »
Kurnal, lets hope the information you have requested is not too graphic, some of us are very young and delicate in this forum
(The Stig is my next door neighbour!)

Offline John Webb

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 10:43:29 AM »
Quote from: kurnal
Well John if you share the details of your ailment with us I wager someone on this site will be able to offer you medical advice as well.  :)
It was a weird rash on my back - even my GP couldn't say exactly why it had happened - has nearly gone now!
John Webb
Consultant on Fire Safety, Diocese of St Albans
(Views expressed are my own)