Author Topic: Civil Defence is common Sense?  (Read 6993 times)

Offline Firewolf

Civil Defence is common Sense?
« on: December 08, 2004, 02:00:12 PM »
Something I'd like to throw open for discussion in this forum is whether or not fire safety proffesionals, consultants, emergency planning personnel fire officers or firefighters see the need for increased Civil Defence measures in this country given the current terrorist threat to the UK.

Do you think that:-

a) We need extra Civil Defence?

b) Organisations such as the defunct Royal Observer Corps and other agencies should be reactivated to help support the emergency services in time of crisis or terroist attack?

c) That people harping on about civil defence is ridiculous as there is not that much of a threat

d) That in actual fact voluntary organisations trying to help in a crisis could be more of a hinderance.

e) Its better to be prepared for any eventuality.

What are you thoughts?
BE ALERT BE VIGILANT BE SAFE  (c)

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2004, 12:03:23 PM »
I don't think the emergecny services have been given enough support and funding from government to train their officers in dealing with a major crisis or terrorist attack.

Switzerland have one of the best Civil Defence schemes in the world and yet they are a peaceful, neutral country and i think they have the right idea.

Be prepared isn't just the Scout's motto it is good practice and I just wish the powers that be would look at re-establishing some form of Civil Defence strategies involving volunteers in this country.

You mention the ROC - they could be used to provide a number of services including plotting fall out from nuclear or indeed chemical weapons, providing extra decontamination duties to assist the Fire and Ambulance authorities etc.

St Johns ambulance could assist in medical matters, there are other voluntary ambulance services out there too.

The WVS used for support of bereaved families and providing refreshments and welfare.

The dozens of industrial fire services that could assist in firefighting cover (they could do decontamination but this would involve a lot of training and money)

There are organisations out there who can help, so why aren't they being used / involved?

messy

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2004, 11:41:47 PM »
The whole concept of the UK 'being prepared' is a complete farce designed (in part) to deceive or reassure the public.

Yes we've shiny new trucks and baffling new kit but:

1) I am a Watch Manager stationed near to one of London's premier terrorists targets. Yet I have not even seen one of our Mass Decon units let alone received any training.

2) Another vehicle, known as the BAL (breathing apparatus lorry) is on the run in the west of London. It carries additional extended BA sets (but not enough cylinders yet) Extra gas tight suits (many are missing because the wrong ones were delivered) and should carry railway equipment which is constantly off the run. In short, it's useless but manned 24/7 often with drivers on overtime

3) We have a new procedure for dealing with suspect terrorist (chemical) attacks. The LFB training video (yes we've at least received some video based training) explains that London's urban environment presents significant difficulties. It shows picture of Canary Wharf and Oxford street to illustrate the density of population. Then the 'demonstration' exercise is shown consisting of two pumps, about 8 over acting extras, all located in what looks like an old abbatoir in the middle of no-where. Why choose that location? - cause the procedure stinks. I will not give details here but it's go more holes in it than swiss cheese.

4) Lastly: A multi agency team of fire police & ambulance personnel are now on call 24/7 to assist with liaison in the vital initial stages of such an incident. However the fire team members have no direct radio communication with the Brigade Control centre.........not so useful when the sh1t hits the fan!!

Yes I for one would welcome a well trained selection of Dad's Army teams support in a crisis, but the Govt need to get the professionals trained first and only prepare voluntary agencies if they can also be resourced properly.

I fear that this will not happen, and the Govt will use the voluntary sector as cheap labour, and for 'we're prepared' propagana for cheap New Labour.

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2004, 04:33:22 PM »
I agree with everything above that Messy has outlined.

Furthermore I agree with him that volunteers are good, but the need to train the professionals first is paramount before volunteer help can be considered.

During the cold war I was with the ROC (Fireman werent supposed to join ROC due to conflict of intrests but they were short of numbers at my local ROC Group and turned a blind eye)

The Corps does still unofficially exist somewhere in the background waiting to be reactivated again.

Before it was stood down the ROC was the largest and cheapest Volunatry group anywhere in the UK and whilst its role would have to be adapted dramtically for them to help in a terroist situation every ex member of the ROC lies in wait ready for the day they are called back into service. That is the nature of the guys andgirls who helped.

It maybe a nostaligacally romantic vision but that amount of volunteers could do some good in some sort of capacity during a crisis .

"Forewarned is Forearmed" was their motto - something our professional emergency services are not (and its certainly not their fault) it is the governments.

I dont like to get politic on these forums but it is a sad fact that the government need to do more but aren't.

Being perfectly frank and by no means wanting to sound ridiculously over the top if there is a massive terror attack in Britain I sincerley hope Im standing right by where the bomb goes off!!!!!

Im sure god must have his own fire service  :!:

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2004, 08:56:10 AM »
I think this is a good topic subject and yet no one has bothered to leave their opinions or thoughts.  :evil:

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2004, 09:46:27 AM »
ok

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2004, 04:34:12 PM »
I'm a newbie here so please go easy on me.

Since 9-11 I think there is a good argument to reactivate civil defence in the UK

I am not alarmist, but a realist and Civil Defence is an organisation run "by the people for the people" and In an emergency people cope better in a major disaster if they are doing something to help themselves.

What we need is the governement to enable us to do a bit of helping ourselves as it were.