Author Topic: fires in building sites  (Read 29008 times)

fires in building sites
« on: November 29, 2003, 05:30:40 PM »
Can any of the FIO's reveal any info ref fires in construction sites/refits/building alterations?

fires in building sites
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2003, 04:14:26 PM »
Try the Loss Prevention Councils fire during (i think) a refit. Interesting that one!! lol

Also building site fires seem to pop but i can't think of any.

fires in building sites
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2004, 10:51:28 PM »
Broadgate Phase 8 is the only one I can recall that is well documented. There was another recently involving a contractor named MJ Gleeson in a shopping mall under construction. Another one with the same company back in the early nineties at Callender Park Business Park in Falkirk.

Offline p.b.morgan

fires in building sites
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2004, 05:05:05 PM »
Try Tim Pascoe at FRS/BRE. He led a recent project on security on construction sites - problems included fires. The worst problem is theft of plant - even thoise huge yellow diggers go walkabout and no-one sees them!

Along with Broadgate there was an atrium fire at  Minster Court within the same year. I seem to recall that the two fires caused more losses than the insurers got in in premiums that year. That concentrated a lot of minds and the joint guidance document came out from FPA on Fire Prevention on Construction Sites.
Penny

Chris Houston

fires in building sites
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2004, 04:48:56 PM »
This is slightly off topic, but are you aware of the Joint Code of Practice on the Protection from Fire of Construction Site and Buildings Undergoing Renovation?  It's a good short guide to preventing such fires.

I know of at least one school in Norfolk that was lost when contractors set the roof on fire by accident, it was onlt minor roofing work that was going on.  I don't think this sort of loss is uncommon.

Chris Houston

fires in building sites
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2004, 04:49:14 PM »
This is slightly off topic, but are you aware of the Joint Code of Practice on the Protection from Fire of Construction Site and Buildings Undergoing Renovation?  It's a good short guide to preventing such fires.

I know of at least one school in Norfolk that was lost when contractors set the roof on fire by accident, it was onlt minor roofing work that was going on.  I don't think this sort of loss is uncommon.

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
fires in building sites
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2004, 03:02:02 AM »
Does that make 2 schools in Norfolk then.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Chris Houston

fires in building sites
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2004, 12:22:53 PM »
Colin,

Well to be honest, it's probably a safe bet that we've lost at least two schools in Norfolk due to contractors burning them.  

con-trac-tor (kon-trakter) ¦ n. 1. One who is invited onto a school site in order to damage it.  2. One who is invited onto a school site to burn it.  3. One who is invited onto a school site to leave things about to injure people.  4.  One who is invited onto a school site to break things and charge money.

fires in building sites
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2004, 11:07:06 AM »
Wasn't the Digital fire just having the finishing touches put on it after occupation?

Offline p.b.morgan

fires in building sites
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2004, 02:57:09 PM »
Digital had been in use for a while so don't thnk you can include it in the construction site group of fires.
Penny