Author Topic: Well Done  (Read 10380 times)

Well Done
« on: January 01, 2005, 10:36:44 AM »
From myself and all the lads from West Mids, just like to say well done to Keith and Andy and to those of you chomping at the bit, your time will come, stay loose. Don't get involved in the politics. Some of our chaps have been in the team for nearly 12 years now as have chaps of other teams. If they need us they will ask!!

Seasons greetings and a happy new year to you all.

Regards
Eddie Allsop

Well Done
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2005, 07:21:05 PM »
Definitely all the best to Andy and Keith and we all wish them a successful mission and a safe return.

Its good to get other peoples views here because I'm finding the whole situation rather disheartening  and not for the fact of being anxious to get out there myself.
We have a national, very professional, proven SAR team and somebody saw fit not to deploy. They probably have a very good reason but it would be nice to be kept in the picture.
I am fed up of trying to make up excuses for our non deployment when questioned by people, most of all fellow fire-fighters who also constantly remind me how much time I've had of work training for major disasters such as this.
 The Germans, Japanese, Israelis and god knows who else saw fit to deploy SART's and have rescued numerous live casualties, pulled out from collapsed buildings, semi flooded basements and from under debris piles.
I wonder why the brits didn't?

happy new year and all the best. Otto S.Wales

p.s. see you on the big one.

Well Done
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2005, 07:54:49 PM »
Ditto to Andy and Keith.

As stated on the UKFSSART news page "DFID and the Fire Service Inspectorate met at 1230 on the 31st to discuss a coordinated use of our resources".

Could we have the outcome of this meeting PLEASE ???????

Well Done
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005, 06:15:35 PM »
With reference to the above I write to provide you with the latest update from DFID.

As you can imagine I have been in touch with DFID since approximately 06.55hrs on Boxing Day. As the tragic event unfolded I have offered the whole range of expertise from your teams. I even offered personnel to go and work in the DFID office.

The whole scale of the event has been virtually impossible to comprehend and has touched us all. In our usual response we have all been keen to assist in anyway that we can.

Andy Dermott and Keith Hampton did deploy but this was at the request of the Thai Military and was organised and paid for by Pedigree. They are now both back safe and well. I have attached a copy of Andy's report and from it you will see that there is and was very little requirement for USAR.

The latest discussion I have had with DFID this morning had revealed that the Military is now either already in or very shortly will be in all regions. DFID's view at this time is that there will be no deployment of any of our teams  for any purpose.

I know this will be disappointing for you all but is a fact.

There is a meeting at No 10 today, 04/01/05, and we will see if there is anything that comes from this.

Keith Ring Assistant Inspector of Fire Services

Well Done
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005, 10:57:12 PM »
Kieth,
I think a lot of lessons have been learnt from this disaster, but.... What a time to learn the old fire brigade lesson on makeups.. YOU CAN ALWAYS TURN PUMPS BACK. UKFSSART should have been sent within 24hrs (i don't think i am the only holder of this view) we could have been held at one location & as information was received deployed as necessary, or, sent home once it was realised the situation did not require our services. All this would have cost would have been the flights. Simple in my view. Instead we now have an embarrassed government and an even more embarrased bunch of dedicated professionals. Kieth, I am not blaming you personally, as I know of the tireless work you have done recently, but the powers that be must hear our voice and appreciate that they may have to take a slight loss (financially) occasionally to ensure we are there when we are needed promptly.

Rant over.

Respect to Kieth & Andy. (perhaps we need to speak to pedigree chum rather than DFID???)  :rolleyes: