Author Topic: "Where were we"  (Read 12922 times)

"Where were we"
« on: January 02, 2005, 04:53:03 PM »
"Where were we" i've asked myself every day since boxing day,our team along with others were on first call,we were packed, and for sure we would be going (or so we thought),We watched the news and checked the web sites and we waited,we watched the casualty figures  rise at an alarming rate and the news images grow ever more graphic and still we waited,most of us new that what we were watching had the potential to be utterly devestating ,  still nothing,   we watched every search and rescue scenario we could think off , and then ...txt message ODPM unlikley to be considering SAR assets..... we paused..shocked and hoped it would be changed..,   we continued to watch,they say we have'nt had an invite(politics again ) goverments are confused and over whelmed they are desparate... We watch SART's from around the world deploying, Russians,Germans,French,Isreali,japanese and any other country whose goverment saw fit to send them.. and we saw Andy and Keith and their marvelous search dogs(my prayers go with them) and still we were not needed, we saw and heard of teams  have some successful rescues,not many,but one is enough! there are many dead and many survivors.you try not to think of the people that clung on for days waiting for a rescue that never came,at least not from us..and whilst i understand it was alogistical  nightmare., i guess we will never really know!! some of the world acted quickly and the rest of it blinked ,and we must now play catch up in the largest humanitarianaid effort in history(hilary benns words not mine)..
       So as i sit here i ask myself the question  "WHERE WERE WE" and why are we still here... to Otto ,shaun,jim ,dannyroach and the rest of you out there asking yourselves the same thing KEEP PUSHING...

cheers
      STEVE TOMM  South Wales team........ :evil:

"Where were we"
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2005, 08:06:16 PM »
I think that just about sums it up steve.

"Where were we"
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2005, 08:39:03 PM »
100%

Offline otto

"Where were we"
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2005, 08:41:58 PM »
:oops:

Offline otto

"Where were we"
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005, 12:10:36 AM »
Ah well moodster, JC, Tommo, Doug, ER, proby, Allen, blue and anyone else who even made it as far as this site.
 looks like nobody gives a monkeys. Its a sad culmination of events for the SAR community. Chin up guys we would've given it our best shot.

see you on the big(ger) one.

fed up, Otto

Offline otto

"Where were we"
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2005, 12:11:25 AM »
and danny roach

"Where were we"
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2005, 06:13:49 PM »
With reference to the above I write to provide you with the latest update from DFID.

As you can imagine I have been in touch with DFID since approximately 06.55hrs on Boxing Day. As the tragic event unfolded I have offered the whole range of expertise from your teams. I even offered personnel to go and work in the DFID office.

The whole scale of the event has been virtually impossible to comprehend and has touched us all. In our usual response we have all been keen to assist in anyway that we can.

Andy Dermott and Keith Hampton did deploy but this was at the request of the Thai Military and was organised and paid for by Pedigree. They are now both back safe and well. I have attached a copy of Andy's report and from it you will see that there is and was very little requirement for USAR.

The latest discussion I have had with DFID this morning had revealed that the Military is now either already in or very shortly will be in all regions. DFID's view at this time is that there will be no deployment of any of our teams  for any purpose.

I know this will be disappointing for you all but is a fact.

There is a meeting at No 10 today, 04/01/05, and we will see if there is anything that comes from this.

Keith Ring Assistant Inspector of Fire Services

"Where were we"
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2005, 10:58:57 PM »
Kieth,
I think a lot of lessons have been learnt from this disaster, but.... What a time to learn the old fire brigade lesson on makeups.. YOU CAN ALWAYS TURN PUMPS BACK. UKFSSART should have been sent within 24hrs (i don't think i am the only holder of this view) we could have been held at one location & as information was received deployed as necessary, or, sent home once it was realised the situation did not require our services. All this would have cost would have been the flights. Simple in my view. Instead we now have an embarrassed government and an even more embarrased bunch of dedicated professionals. Kieth, I am not blaming you personally, as I know of the tireless work you have done recently, but the powers that be must hear our voice and appreciate that they may have to take a slight loss (financially) occasionally to ensure we are there when we are needed promptly.

Rant over.

Respect to Kieth & Andy. (perhaps we need to speak to pedigree chum rather than DFID???)  :rolleyes: