Author Topic: Interactive small hotel model  (Read 6481 times)

Offline Ricardo

Interactive small hotel model
« on: August 30, 2008, 08:30:37 AM »
An interactive model of a small hotel is now available which allows a responsible person (dutyholder in Scotland) to tour their small hotel and undertake a fire safety risk assessment, identifying hazards and determining what action is required in order the minimise the risk of fire and protect the guests from harm in the event of fire.

see -  http://www.infoscotland.com/firelaw/files/flihv2.html

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 09:05:15 AM »
Wow. That is quite something.
It seems to confirm the view though that fire risk assessment is simply a commonsense and basic review of what you already have in place-
what the process does not do is question the standards installed in the premises and whether they suitable and sufficient. Does the web page constitute guidance?
For example would it not have been better to question whether an open fire place is the safest means of heating a hotel?

Are the travel distances and protection of the means of escape adequate?

Is the fire alarm and detection system adequate?

In all areas the web site assumes you already have adquate provision and just tinkers at the edges.

Does the web site help me if I have a very poor standard? If for example I have a B&B and have never previously been covered by fire safety legislation till now?

I think not. But fiull marks for initiative to whoever has put it together.

Offline Ricardo

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 08:59:38 PM »
Kurnal

I do agree ( it tinkers at the edges only) that a small hotel owner looking at this may be of the opinion that what they already have in terms of TD's, escape route protection and suitable AFD , is in order, as it doesnt unfortunately highlight these topics as matters of concern/or for consideration in the stages of the FSRA ,I think it would have assisted all parties if mention had been made to this ficticious hotel having some defects in these areas, to let responsible persons see what areas should be considered. It seems from the diagrams that detection is provided throughout, ( which is a pity as I think this was/is a good opportunity to get the fire safety message across to the public from the Government on such matters, as for the website as a whole, it does have a section dedicated to first timers in fire safety legislation giving general advice.  I suppose its all meant with the best intention.

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 06:30:32 PM »
The fitted kitchen in that hotel is sooooooooo passe. It needs an enforcement order from the style police.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 09:00:41 AM »
Are we to assume that the doors are 1/2hr fr already or is this based on the new proposed standard for small B&Bs where fire doors may not be necessary?
To someone who looks at this with there being no mention of fire doors being required in certain places, they could rightly assume that they are not needed in a two storey / 4 bedroom situation, (one for the owner and up to three for guests).
Even the smoke detectors look like single point ones which can lead to people assume that they are adequate.

Maybe thats the intention?
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.