Author Topic: Fire Fighting Platforms - Elevated Helipads  (Read 19172 times)

Offline CJ

Fire Fighting Platforms - Elevated Helipads
« on: September 25, 2008, 01:25:01 PM »
Hi we are currently having built an elevated helipad at our new hospital. There is the ususal ramp access and two fire fighting platforms opposite each other with the foam monitors on. One platform has a rear fire escape but the other one does not. I have question this and was told that they can walk back across the helideck and down the ramp. I have explained that this may not be possible in the event of a crash or fire and was told as it is less that 4.5m high from the car parking level that no means of escape is provided because if trapped they can jump off.

Is there any guidance that states there should be a secondary means of escape from this plantform?

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 01:45:02 PM »
Quote from: CJ
Hi we are currently having built an elevated helipad at our new hospital. There is the ususal ramp access and two fire fighting platforms opposite each other with the foam monitors on. One platform has a rear fire escape but the other one does not. I have question this and was told that they can walk back across the helideck and down the ramp. I have explained that this may not be possible in the event of a crash or fire and was told as it is less that 4.5m high from the car parking level that no means of escape is provided because if trapped they can jump off.

Is there any guidance that states there should be a secondary means of escape from this plantform?
Fine. Ask for a demonstration of the "Jump Off" procedure.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Chris Houston

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 02:19:35 PM »
I stand to be corrected, but I think that all the normal Health and Safety and Fire Safety legislation applies in this situation as much as it would anywhere else.  If an escape route is needed, jumping 4.5 metres isn't safe.

Offline Username

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 04:02:34 PM »
Relates to Offshore Installations, but would have thought it was standard practice:

CAP 437

"10.2 There should be a minimum of two access/egress routes to the helideck. The
arrangements should be optimised to ensure that, in the event of an accident or
incident on the helideck, personnel will be able to escape upwind of the landing area."

Full document available via: www.caa.co.uk

Offline CJ

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 08:48:48 AM »
Good News - the local fire service are now backing my case for an additional exit.

Offline Username

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 04:23:27 PM »
Phew!

Offline CJ

Re: Fire Fighting Platforms - Elevated Helipads
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 12:31:50 PM »
Just to update you all the Fire Brigade on looking at the helipad decided that an additional exit was not required.

I still pushed for an additional exit and after about six months and a visit from the gentleman from the CAA who agreed with me that this is required, a additional exit will now be provided.

Offline FC1

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 02:52:16 PM »
Hi CJ

I’m glad you got your second fire escape routes sorted because as a former senior helideck fire officer / HLO and having worked on a hospital helideck for eight years I can’t believe that not having exits from both your firefighting platforms could ever had been considered an option, certainly by the fire service!  Hospital Management though is of course different matter.   

Can you drop me a line with your email address.  I can be contacted either through the forum or NAHFO.

FC1

Offline Clevelandfire 3

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 05:46:16 PM »
Hi CJ

I’m glad you got your second fire escape routes sorted because as a former senior helideck fire officer / HLO and having worked on a hospital helideck for eight years I can’t believe that not having exits from both your firefighting platforms could ever had been considered an option, certainly by the fire service!  Hospital Management though is of course different matter.   

Can you drop me a line with your email address.  I can be contacted either through the forum or NAHFO.

FC1

Hi FC1

My nephew was enquiring about helideck firefighters stationed at Hospitals.He wants to be a firefighter and its very competitive to get into local authority brigades these days, so he is considering different areas of firefighting such as military, airport etc. How are helideck fire officers recruited? are they directly employed by the hospital? what is involved?wghat other duties do the officer perform in between operational stuff? What kind of training is involved? Are pay scales comparible to Airport Firefighters?

Im quite curious myself having seen hospital fire crews on tv a lot recently with the re-runs of Helicopter Heroes on BBC 1 and its an area I dont know much about. Be grateful of some info.

Offline Clevelandfire 3

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 12:44:12 AM »
No replies? No one got ANY info whatsoever? Would be grateful of some info guys.

Offline Morri

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 07:55:14 AM »
I've no idea about hospital helideck crews, but I'd be very suprised if it were a dedicated job.

I used to work offshore, and in the majority of cases being a member of the helideck crew was an add on to another role, quite usually deck crew and/or riggers.

It may well be the same in hospitals, ie you take a job as say, a porter, and one of your secondary roles is helideck. Only guessing though.

Offline Clevelandfire 3

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 07:39:56 PM »
THanks Morri. Your reply makes sense.

Can anyone confirm any different?

Offline FC1

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 12:00:33 PM »
Hi Cleveland 3

Sorry, I wasn’t ignoring you but only just seen your thread.

As far as I am aware the Royal London Hospital is the only hospital helideck in the UK that has a full time in-house dedicated firecrew, however I stand to be corrected if my information is not up to date.  Up until recently this was an external contracted service.

The reason the RLH has a full time crew is because the London Air Ambulance positions to the hospital each morning and is based there all day, 7 days a week, 365 day a year until end of days play when it goes back to Denham Aerodrome, whereas all the other hospitals only receive air ambulance movements as required, which could be a couple of times a day or a couple of times a month depending on the hospital and the medical/clinical services available.  Subsequently at these other hospitals there is no requirement for fulltime crews.

Nonetheless all hospital helidecks should have professionally competent trained firecrews to cover all air ambulance arrivals and departures, however, the ‘firecrew’ will more than likely be rostered on-call from portering, security and such like departments as part of their normal daily hospital duties as Morri has suggested.

Training should be to offshore helideck fire crew standards but in my experience that is often not the case.  Training a person to these standards and providing PPE etc is very expensive and ongoing and remember how cash strapped the NHS is!  Dare I say that in some instances I have known a hospital to only pay lip service to the training required i.e. “there’s a waste paper bin and there’s a fire extinguisher”!   

As for salaries and pay scales etc there is absolutely no parity with fulltime airport fire services and realistically there is nowhere else to go to progress a career in the fire services.

FC1

Offline Clevelandfire 3

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 12:37:59 AM »
Thanks FC1 for your honest and informative response