Author Topic: O/T NHS pay  (Read 4631 times)

Offline Mushy

O/T NHS pay
« on: January 29, 2009, 08:50:13 PM »
Can anyone tell me how the incremental bands work on NHS pay points...ie does everyone that starts a new post automatically go on the lower band ...and when do you go on to the next increment.

Thanks

Offline FireDave

Re: O/T NHS pay
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 09:58:09 AM »
Every post within the NHS has been graded according to the Agenda for change format. When a person starts in a post within the NHS they are put into a pay band which should encompass the same post throughout the country. This starting point could be anywhere within the pay band dependant on qualifications and experience. The starting point could be the very top of the pay band.

Each year following an incremental pay increase of one point within the pay band is awarded over and above cost of living increases until such time as the person is three points from the top of the pay band.  This is called a gate way which links into the next higher payband approximately in the middle of the band, with some flexibility built in.

An assessment of the jop role is then undertaken along side the annual PDRP (Personal Development Review Plan).  If the powers that be decide that the role has changed significantly then the gateway can be used to transfer onto the next higher pay band.  If however, and this is more usual, it is decided that the role  has not significantly changed then progression is made to the top of the existing pay band, after which there are no incremental increases, the option of moving to a higher pay band is not available and future pay rises will be cost of living increases only.

Sorry this is a bit long winded but it is the NHS you asked about.

Dave

I believe the above is accurate, however if anyone knows better please feel free to correct my mistakes.

Offline Mushy

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 02:55:24 PM »
Thanks Dave that is an excellent reply

I was wondering how they decide what your level of experience is to a particular pay point ...for example..

If someone had 30 years fire service experience and 15 of those years as a fire safety officer..has all the necessary fire safety qualifications and is a Member of the IFE and goes into a post on retiring as a Fire Safety Advisor at a hospital...would they be expected to start on the lowest pay band?

Offline FireDave

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 02:42:59 AM »
Hi Mushy
Probably not, most Fire Advisors started as a Band 5 when Agenda for Change came in and on appeal got a Band 6.

Based on your example a mid point Band 6 could be a reasonable starting point, although you have to be carefull as they will know the applicant has a fire service pension and may knock the pay down a point or two.  Don't let the Gateway be a consideration as very few Trusts actually allow people to use it.

Dave