Author Topic: Fire Certificate  (Read 7949 times)

Offline Oliver

Fire Certificate
« on: April 04, 2005, 03:51:40 PM »
I am on the committee of a village hall in Scotland. Should we have a fire certificate? If we do - how do we go about getting one?

Offline dave bev

Fire Certificate
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 04:39:24 PM »
oliver - contact your local fire authority (brigade/station) - they should be able to help, rather than just being given a 'simple' answer here its often better to speak to those at a local level that can explain and put things into perspective

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
Fire Certificate
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 06:43:30 PM »
Unless the hall, or parts thereof, are put to use as an office, shop or railway premises and there are more than 20 persons employed to work at one time, or more than 10 persons elsewhere than on the ground floor, or it is used as an hotel or boarding house (ALL HIGHLY UNLIKELY IN THE EXTREME) forget it; there will be no need for, or possibility if issuing, a fire certificate. Do not trouble the fire safety lads in the fire authority. There is no need.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Offline dave bev

Fire Certificate
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 07:50:31 PM »
colin, your knowledge of all issues technical is only as large as that chocalate sponge pudding you were last seen eating!

however i would still suggest he should talk to the local fire authority so that he can be given advice on why he DOESNT require a fire cert so that he understands why but also so that other advice could be given. many halls are often used for 'overnight' camps for young children scouts/brownies etc, so it wouldnt hurt if he knew what was required or at least where he could go for help/assistance.

thats why i didnt post a simple answer - anyone wtih a 'fire' responsibility should know where and who they can turn for advice -

dave bev

Offline fireftrm

Fire Certificate
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2005, 03:46:05 PM »
I agree with Dave that a chat with the Fire Safety depatment is an advantage. He will not require a certificate, but there is a requirement to carry out a risk assessment. The FS Dept will be able to advise. DO CONTACT the FRS, they are there to help!
My posts reflect my personal views and beliefs and not those of my employer. If I offend anyone it is usually unintentional, please be kind. If it is intentional I guess it will be clear!

Offline burgermuncher999

Fire Certificate
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 09:27:22 AM »
The fire precautions part of the running of the village hall will have been covered by your application for and the subsequent inspection of the premises in respect of the entertainment licence. Which i should imagine you more than likely possess. Previous poster was quite correct, contact the Fire Brigade in respect of a risk assessment to identify potential hazards, risks and control measures together with the most desirable action to take in the event of fire during a function or any other use to which the hall is put.

iang

Fire Certificate
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2005, 10:35:42 AM »
Good advice if you can get anyone in a fire safety department to answer the phone or return your call!