Author Topic: Another book on the shelf  (Read 6140 times)

Another book on the shelf
« on: December 06, 2003, 07:58:05 AM »
4 Months Ago I completed both Fire Safety Strategy and Fire Safety Management Manual for a large Community Development to find that only minor parts of the requirements have been implemented  even though the development is open to the public... It is no surprise to me that there is a lack of confidence in Fire Engineering where building management is an accepted key strategy as a compensatory factor. Bring back hard prescription.... We will regret it... Management do not want to know!!!! The average manager believes that the building is safe because thats the job of the Fire Officer, Building Control and the Fire Service and so it should be.. They get paid enough.

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2003, 07:39:18 PM »
I have to question the above assertion. Do they not actually get paid too much, rather than enough?
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2003, 09:29:32 AM »
Excellent though your advice usually is Colin, public employees really do not need to be constantly told how overpaid they are by a company which charges £500+ per day (excluding expenses) for its services!
additionally, I believe that an organisation at the centre of the fire safety circus recently baulked at a requested daily fee of £1400, (excluding expenses)by another un-named, (though not connected to your business), individual.
I share your view that a significant portion of 'fire safety officers' are less than perfect but this is probably down to the organisational heirachy of fire services and the fact that legislative fire safety is always seen as a poor relation. This situation, alas, is likely to be excacerbated by the headlong rush to promote the 'cheaper option' of community safety. Some fire safety departments have already slashed their inspection teams by half, hardly a recipe for increasing the skill level of those who are required under legislation, (rather than those sheltered by professional liability insurance), to enforce fire safety standards prescribed by a government who has forgotten the lessons of the past.

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2003, 11:05:43 PM »
Memo to PA: Remind me to put rates up, so I can earn 2/3 as much as geezers wot run fleets of big red trucks. Then I will be as well off as when the said geezers retire. Anyhow, to return to your point, I rather like community safety. I know it means being nice to people and that's no fun when, under legislation, you can bully and cajole them, but hey!, maybe it will save people's lives from fire. And to the poor guy who raised a serious point, he has a point to an extent. Its always down to management and if the soft element of a fire engineering solution falls by the wayside, what price the fire engineering solution.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates