Author Topic: MRSA & Fire Training  (Read 8556 times)

messy

MRSA & Fire Training
« on: April 21, 2005, 07:43:09 PM »
I am regularly involved with fire training at a number of large heathcare establishments. One particular course lasts all day with a buffet lunch supplied.

Since MRSA and the Hospital bug issue has been in the news, I have noted that, when the buffet lunch is revealed, in the mad panic to be first to get the prawn sandwiches, virtually no student washes their hands prior to eating. (perhaps 1/20 at best)

Not encouraging is it? at a time when the NHS management are trying to promote hygiene.

I have written to two of the Hospital Trusts involved to ask whether I should mention it (knowing full well this is way out of my brief) as yet no replies.

Should I leave well alone or  mention it?? Any views???

Me

MRSA & Fire Training
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2005, 08:23:23 PM »
Of course you should mention it and in some force to. If people are offended then they should be looking as to weather they are in the right industry. Its time individuals took responsibility for their actions.

Offline dave bev

MRSA & Fire Training
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2005, 11:02:22 AM »
there was an interesting debate at the fbu annual conference on mrsa, and the potential of fire service employees to be carriers

dave bev

Chris Houston

MRSA & Fire Training
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2005, 11:41:54 AM »
I would avoid commenting on anything other than my area of expertise.

messy

MRSA & Fire Training
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2005, 08:35:17 PM »
Chris:

That has been my stance so far. I know virtually nothing about MRSA and Hospital hygiene, the problem is, nether do many of the nursing staff on the courses

So I have adopted perhaps a selfish approach to say nowt as it might take me most of the morning to 'win over' some of the more reluctant students. The last thing I want to do is piss them off straight after lunch.

I have written to the Health Trusts involved so at least I can sleep at night

Offline Brian Catton

MRSA & Fire Training
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2005, 07:09:57 PM »
Quote from: Chris Houston
I would avoid commenting on anything other than my area of expertise.
I think you are quite right Chris. If this subject is to be linked to Alcohol washes that is a different matter but this subject is already being debated on this site. I think prawn sandwhiches may get doctors interested in fire safety training though!!!! There again pehaps not.