Author Topic: Christmas lights  (Read 6124 times)

Christmas lights
« on: December 09, 2003, 12:38:07 PM »
Does anyone have any data on fires started by faulty Christmas lights? (Fairy lights, not candles or coloured festoon lamps) I've been asked by a building manager (who doesn't want to be labelled as a kill joy) to issue a prohibition notice on the grounds that such lights are a fire hazard.

I'm not sure that this can be justified, and in my opinion, providing that they are P.A.T. tested, have the correct lamps in them, and are switched off when unattended, then there is little danger.

Your thoughts and experiences would be most appreciated

Offline banjo 2

Christmas lights
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2003, 03:35:39 PM »
Yes, you are right Ruby. In hospitals you have to carefull, but to ban them would be OTT.  We do not have real tree's only artificial ones bearing the FR marking.  Lights must be checked by an electrician (every year) and only lights of 24 volts. No Straw or cotton wool around or on the tree and like you said, turned off when unattended.  If its good enough for us, it should be OK for your scrooge.

Offline Brian Catton

Christmas lights
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2003, 10:08:31 PM »
I suggest that your local trading standards or their professional association should have some info on this.

Christmas lights
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2003, 04:11:59 PM »
There was quite a highly publisised christmas lights fire last year or the year before in a domestic premises....