Author Topic: Commissioning of fire extinguishers  (Read 9965 times)

Offline Tom Sutton

Commissioning of fire extinguishers
« on: August 14, 2010, 09:50:23 PM »
I receive the following enquiry and I don't fully understand it, what is commissioning in this context.

"I have a question regarding the commissioning of fire extinguishers brought on-line. If you purchase fire extinguishers on-line from a UK Company, the fire extinguishers are BS EN approved. Do the fire extinguishers require commissioning before installation, or can you just add them on to the fire extinguisher maintenance contract?"
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Offline John Webb

Re: Commissioning of fire extinguishers
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 10:24:13 PM »
Tom, is this perhaps if someone buys unfilled new extinguishers and needs to have them charged? I'd think that would count as 'commisioning'. (Although in my recent experience the extinguishers are now supplied ready-filled.)
I'd also carry out checks for transit damage, correct pressure, nozzle/hose fittings and seal, even if already filled, and the fixing of wall brackets where needed.
John Webb
Consultant on Fire Safety, Diocese of St Albans
(Views expressed are my own)

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 10:29:32 PM »
Hi Tom
The new BS5306-3:2009 recommends that new extinguishers are commissioned by a competent person on initial installation and gives a checklistand procedure for doing this.

Some of the more cynical observers have suggested that this change to the BS was heavily influenced by the portables industry to counter the threat of competition from importers and online sellers, however it is absoluttely vital that if someone does attempt to use an extinguisher on a real fire, that it should work correctly and without placing the user in danger.

Offline BLEVE

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 11:17:10 AM »
I agree with Kurnal and regardless of the motive it does makes sense that the appliance is inspected and verified prior to initial installation.

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 11:05:14 AM »
Thanks everybody especially Kurnal with the quote from BS5306-3:2009 just what I needed. Unfortunately I don't have a copy and as I have lost my sponsor it may be some time before I can afford BS's, it look like, back to the reference library in Liverpool when it opens.again.
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 11:19:49 AM »
Have you tried your local county council online services? Many libraries give you access to the BSI database on a read only basis- you can search and read but not print or download. Its a good resource - I use it to make the judgement as to the relevance of a new standard before deciding whether to buy. Then if you join the BSI fr an annual fee they will give you 50% discount. However you may find that the online service will give you all you need. 

Offline AnthonyB

• Firenet Extinguisher Expert
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.firewizard.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 01:28:22 PM »
Commissioning is required because there were too many internet bought extinguishers that were defective or incorrectly assembled (a come across a few of these). Also with no initial service weight or installation date ongoing servicing is more difficult to carry out - if the extinguisher has no label you could in theory have to carry out an Extended Service when you first encounter it as you have no reference weight for checking serviceability and no reference date to age the components & media (the exception being CO2 which are stamped with manufacture date) as these extinguishers sometimes sit around for years before the user gets prompted or realizes they require annual servicing.

I've seen hoseless extinguishers, positively dangerous CO2's with loose horns or missing fibre washers and countless 'leakers' when finding these extinguishers.

Process of commissioning:

4.1 Commissioning
The commissioning of an extinguisher should be carried out by a competent person as defined in 3.6. Upon removal from its packaging and transit protection, and immediately prior to placing in its designated place, the extinguisher should undergo the sequence of commissioning service actions described in Annex B, taking into account the safety precautions given in Annex C.

Additionally, if the manufacturer has not marked the mass of the extinguisher or a nominal range of mass for the extinguisher, the competent person should consult the manufacturer’s workshop manual for that model or consult with the manufacturer to obtain this information.

Upon completion of the above procedures the extinguisher should then be installed and positioned in accordance with BS 5306‑8.

Annex B (normative) Commissioning service procedures

The commissioning service procedures listed in Table B.1 should be carried out for the appropriate type of extinguisher.

Table B.1 shows a numbered sequence, from start to finish (left to right), of actions necessary to perform a commissioning service on the main types of extinguisher. Each action is composed of one or more operations or inspections, the details of which are described in Table B.2. It is not necessary, or possible, to perform every action on every type of extinguisher.

Table B.1 Sequence of actions for commissioning service procedures for extinguishers

Stored pressure- Water, water-based (including foam), powder, and primary sealed powder 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 9, 10, 11, 13, 15
Carbon dioxide 1, 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 13, 15
Cartridge-operated- Water and water-based (including foam) 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
Powder 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
The numbers refer to actions detailed in Table B.2.

Table B.2 Commissioning service actions – Initial operations

1 Safety clip and indicating devices
Check the safety clip and indicating devices to determine whether the extinguisher has been operated.

2 Pressure-indicating devices
Check the pressure-indicating device where fitted. If it is not operating freely or if the indicated pressure is outside the specified limits, refer to the extinguisher manufacturer’s instructions to ascertain the appropriate action to be taken. Check that any dust covers needed on pressure-indicating or pressure-relief devices are in place and are of a size that does not obscure the reading of the gauge.
Where a pressure-indicating device is not fitted, verify, by means of the connection provided for this purpose, that the internal pressure
is correct. If it is not correct, refer to the extinguisher manufacturer’s instructions to ascertain the appropriate action to be taken.

3 External examination
Examine the exterior for corrosion, dents, gouges or damage that could impair the safe operation of the extinguisher (see Clause 9).
Competent persons carrying out initial service actions on new extinguishers finding these conditions should refer the extinguisher back to the supplier.

4 Initial weight check
Weigh the extinguisher according to the extinguisher manufacturer’s instructions (in the case of a CO2 extinguisher, weigh after removal of the discharge horn/hose assembly). Record this on the maintenance label (see 6.2.2). In the event of a loss of content of more than 10%, either return the extinguisher to the manufacturer for replacement, or recharge the extinguisher if practicable to do so.

5 Operating instructions
Check the operating instructions for correctness and legibility, ensuring that the text is in English.

6 Opening a gas cartridge extinguisher
Open the extinguisher by unscrewing the headcap. Remove the gas cartridge.

7 Initial fill of all extinguisher types
Refer to the extinguisher manufacturer’s instructions. Examine the interior with the aid of an inspection light. Check for corrosion or
lining deterioration.
Check that the extinguisher is filled correctly. Follow the correct procedure to fill the extinguisher if it is not filled. Follow the correct
procedure if it has been filled incorrectly.
For pre-filled, water-based, cartridge-operated types which have the additive in a separate container, remove this container and check it
for leakage. If the container has been leaking, discard the container and recharge the extinguisher. Rinse out the body before charging.

8 Initial fill of cartridge‑operated powder extinguisher
Where a cartridge-operated extinguisher has been pre-filled, examine the powder in the extinguisher. If there is any evidence of caking, lumps or foreign bodies, or if the powder is not free flowing, or if there is any doubt at all about the condition of the powder, discard all the powder. The use of sieves or machines to remove foreign bodies or caked or lumpy material is not recommended since this will involve considerable exposure of the powder to
atmospheric humidity with a risk of subsequent caking. Refer to the extinguisher manufacturer’s instructions.

9 Operating mechanism and air passages
Clean if necessary and pass air through the air passages, paying particular attention to the vent holes (or other venting device) in the headcap. Check that the strainer (where fitted), internal discharge tube and breather valve (where fitted) are unobstructed. Rectify any problems or replace with a new tube or valve if necessary.
Check the operating mechanism and discharge control (where fitted) for free movement. Rectify any problems or replace with a new operating mechanism or discharge control as necessary. Protect moving parts and threads against corrosion with a lubricant as recommended by the extinguisher manufacturer.

10 Removable operating mechanism
Where the extinguisher is designed to have the operating mechanism removed without the discharge of contents or loss of pressure, remove and check the operating mechanism and discharge control (where fitted) for free movement. Clean and lubricate the operating mechanism, rectify any problems, or replace with a new operating mechanism as necessary.

11 Safety pin
Remove the safety pin and check that the operating lever is undamaged and its movement is unobstructed. Safety precautions should be taken to avoid inadvertent operation. Return the safety pin or, where necessary, a replacement pin to the extinguisher.

12 Gas cartridge
Examine the gas cartridge externally for corrosion or damage. If the gas cartridge has suffered mechanical damage or is corroded, replace as recommended by the extinguisher supplier (see also 7.2).
Weigh the gas cartridge and check the mass against that marked on the gas cartridge. If the gas cartridge has sustained a loss of content greater than 10% (15% for cartridges with a content mass of less than 30 g) of the original content, withdraw it from service and replace it with a gas cartridge as recommended by the extinguisher manufacturer. Check the date marked on the cartridge (see 7.2).

13 Seals for the discharge horn, hose, nozzle, valve body and hose diaphragm
Ensure that all seals for the discharge horn, the hose, the nozzle and the valve body are in place, as prescribed in the extinguisher manufacturer’s instructions.

14 Reassembly
Reassemble the extinguisher in accordance with the extinguisher manufacturer’s instructions. Replace with new any safety element designed to show whether the extinguisher might have been operated.
Check that the nozzle, horn and hose are fitted correctly. Follow the correct procedure to fit the nozzle, horn and hose to the extinguisher if any of them are fitted incorrectly.

15 Affix maintenance label
Affix the maintenance label to the extinguisher in an appropriate position on the extinguisher body, and complete the details on the maintenance label, as recommended in 6.2.2.
Anthony Buck
Owner & Fire Safety Consultant at Fire Wizard

Extinguisher/Fire History Enthusiast

Fire Extinguisher Facebook Group:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=65...415&ref=ts
http://www.youtube.com/user/contactacb
https://uk.linkedin.com/in/anthony-buck-36

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 02:34:11 PM »
Thanks Kurnal I know about the BSI 50% deal but the Local Council libraries online service I must look into it.

AB a full answer, mind you I wouldn't expected any less.

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 09:55:52 AM »
Have you tried your local county council online services? Many libraries give you access to the BSI database on a read only basis- you can search and read but not print or download. Its a good resource - I use it to make the judgement as to the relevance of a new standard before deciding whether to buy. Then if you join the BSI fr an annual fee they will give you 50% discount. However you may find that the online service will give you all you need.

Thanks Kurnal you have given me the solution I have been looking for for a long time.

Offline Simon72

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 07:37:04 PM »
Hi

any extinguisher that is purchased online from an extinguisher wholesale company, that is intended to be included within a companies extinguisher stock must be pre-inspected, and serviced prior to taking up it's place within the company.

accoording to the amended edition of BS5306 Pt3: 2009

Offline AnthonyB

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 10:37:11 PM »
On line firms used to get around this argument by offering 'commissioning' and a service label as a extra with the order - but the standard implies that commissioning must be done on the users site (i.e. after removal from transit wrappings).

Which having seen the sight of some customer assembled kit is right & proper.

But it's only a BS & no-one bothers to enforce it  :(
Anthony Buck

Offline TECHY

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 11:32:18 PM »
I cant recall the year this model came out 1351(Far to young) but i once worked for an extinguisher company which was owned by an ex nu-swift chap, who one lunch time recalled a tale of visting a custome who had recived his shiny new Model 1351 via a delivery servie and was over the moon (Must have been rich lol) He was so impressed he took it striaght out the box and placed it in his shop.

He was also pleased with his free E84 (I Think??) mini fire extinguisher, now for those that are to young or confused Nu-swift then shipped all extinguishers empty and the E84 Was the pressure charge for the extinguisher.

Proves a point customers needing to be informed, and come on how many times in the past has the FPO said you need 2 x 13A rated extinguishers and the customer bought 2 x 2Kg Powder extinguishers????

Offline AnthonyB

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 03:22:53 PM »
Ah the 1351 - that was a later 70's version of the old  Universal (Royal Navy) Water if I remember correctly... still used the old 'bomb' charge but the later E84 version with a round end and still had the big brass strike knob head, can't remember if it was still zinc lined or an early ploy version.

Nu Swift did actually make total discharge powder & BCF extinguishers out of the old E84 charges in the 1980's after they had changed to 60g Sicli pencil charges with adapters for the old 'universal' models.

Biggest problem with user installed extinguishers these days:
- wrong type for risk
- never wall or stand mounted so end up hidden in a corner
- no install date to work out when basic & extended services first due.
- No initial weight to check against for loss.
- hoses and horns not connected and missing
Anthony Buck